Umami Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WI_GameMeats

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Central WI
5# chuck roast I forgot about in the chest freezer... means it's time for some chuckie burnt ends!
IMG_2316.jpg

Didn't measure any of the ingredients, but if I had to estimate it would be about 1tsp Fish sauce, 1 tbsp Worcestershire, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and a good heavy coat of the cabelas rub.
IMG_2317.jpg

After I coated it I had the feeling that I wanted a bit more a kick. A good twenty or so shakes of cayenne followed by a light covering of my all-purpose rub.
IMG_2318.jpg

Chuckie spent overnight in the fridge and will be going into the smoker at 250 degrees at lunch time.

More pictures to follow!

Reactions: zwiller
Here is a pic of it going in the smoker at 11:00ish. Fish sauce is a big sleeper in marinades in my opinion. Just gotta be careful, that stuff has so much sodium in it.
IMG_2326.jpg

Took a total of 11 hours to do. Here is a bit of a recap...
  • MES @ 250 degrees - for 6 hours (11:00am to 5:00pm) - IT was stalling @ 150
  • Wrapped in foil and back into the MES @ 275 until IT was 190 (which took 2 hours)
  • Cubed & seasoned and placed back into the foil pan for 2 hours. It was 10pm, but I still had about twenty pieces :emoji_laughing:

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

This was a flavor bomb going off and a big success for my second try at chuck roast burnt ends. I'd use a smaller roast next time for sure. The thickness of this 5# roast took longer than expected. All in all meat was super moist, tender and had excellent flavor.

Awesome looking burnt ends!!

I have a bottle of red boat 40N fish sauce, that I’m always looking to use up. So far I’ve only used it in homemade burgers and for faux aging steak.

I’ll have to try this the next time the wife requests chuckie burnt ends.

Thanks for the idea. Like!

I have a bottle of red boat 40N fish sauce, that I’m always looking to use up. So far I’ve only used it in homemade burgers and for faux aging steak.

I’ll have to try this the next time the wife requests chuckie burnt ends.

Thanks for the idea. Like!
Red Boat 40°N is one of, if not the best.
Anywhere Soy and/or Worcestershire are used add some Fish Sauce.
I substitute 1/3-1/2 any Soy measure with Fish.
And add a splash or more to any Worcestershire measure.
Marinades, dipping sauces, substitute for anchovies on pizza or anchovy paste in recipes.
Do you like Bloody Marys, add some Fish Sauce.

Last edited:
Red Boat 40°N is one of, if not the best.
Anywhere Soy and/or Worcestershire are used add some Fish Sauce.
I substitute 1/3-1/2 any Soy measure with Fish.
And add a splash or more to any Worcestershire measure.
Marinades, dipping sauces, substitute for anchovies on pizza or anchovy paste in recipes.
Do you like Bloody Marys, add some Fish Sauce.

I’ve had success using it when making something cooked. I also snuck it in some soups during the winter.

The problem is, the wife hasn’t had the pleasure of smelling it yet! Lol. So I haven’t tried using it in dips or on pizza. I’ll try it in a bloody mary, I have some pepper vodka that was given to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky