UMAi Pancetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Cash and Carry our local restaurant supply started carrying fresh pork bellies. They aren't whole. They are cut into thirds. Looked good so I picked one up for pancetta.

62ea57679cda74466a73d5e9b242cabd.jpg

d054c5948f85a3cee8a746231a2f59cd.jpg

99f3d977b9a27680af54d13ae89764f4.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2857/33541060314_1f69210180_k.jpg[IMG]

Now we wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry about the sideways recipe! For whatever reason my phone didn't let me rotate it! Ya all are just going to have to crane your necks!

I have two options now. Costco has the full bellies same price per pound. Cash and Carry has always had frozen by the case full bellies. Nice to have the fresh even though not full bellies. Perfect for small projects like this.

Im in! This ought to be good!

I bought some of those cut 1/3ds from C&C, and recently made peppered bacon. In fact they didn't have the any of the whole ones that I could find so I felt stuck with those. As it turned out it seems like the quality was a bit better with these than the whole ones. Particularly since you can tell and choose which end of the belly of the slab its from.

Im in! This ought to be good!

I bought some of those cut 1/3ds from C&C, and recently made peppered bacon. In fact they didn't have the any of the whole ones that I could find so I felt stuck with those. As it turned out it seems like the quality was a bit better with these than the whole ones. Particularly since you can tell and choose which end of the belly of the slab its from.

Yeah the whole bellies they hide in the meat freezer not the walk-in meat and cheese cooler. . Ours you have to go in the freezer to find them and you have to buy the whole case.

Like you said you can't see them in the box.

This is something I haven't tried yet.

I might steal your recipe.

Good start. First dry curing project? Does your family like pancetta?

Mine is not crazy about it. They love dried backfat but pancetta not so much. I am slowly eating thru 10lbs+ of pancetta. Also using it for pasta carbonara.

Mine is not crazy about it. They love dried backfat but pancetta not so much. I am slowly eating thru 10lbs+ of pancetta. Also using it for pasta carbonara.

Nope I've done dry curing in the past. I haven't had a good curing chamber set up for a while.

This is my first actually second UMAi dry cure project. I have a breasola going right now too.

We like pancetta .so no problem moving through this small hunk.

I use pancetta as a flavoring agent in a lot of dishes. If you do any type of sautéed greens, pancetta is a great addition. A fine dice, or paper thin slices is also a great pizza topping.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky