UMAi Pancetta Is Finally done!! (W / Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Well al, here is the answer to your question of 6 months ago: yes, UMAi works for Pancetta and it is incredible!! Was a 6 month process, which is longer than I had hoped for but the wait was well worth it.

Here's the pork belly starting out. Was just over 10#
01.jpg

Trimmed some of the fat cap off
02.jpg

Seasoned and ready to cure
04.jpg

Into the vac seal bag to cure, but not vacuumed
05.jpg

Out of the cure 10 days later, rinsed, and round two of the spices applied
06.jpg

Rolled as tight as I could get it and tied off
07.jpg

Into the UMAi bag
08.jpg

This is about a month into it if I remember correctly
09.jpg

Here it is 6 months later and out of the UMAi bag
028.jpg

Strings removed
030.jpg

Cut away view. This stuff looks amazing!!
032.jpg

All sliced up. did a few thick slices to chop into pieces for sauces and soups but most was sliced thin
033.jpg

Close up view
035.jpg

At the end of the day, if you have the patience and fridge space to spare, this is definitely a worthwhile endeavor!! I have a whole bunch of Pancetta that will hopefully last a while but knowing how long it takes, wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and get the next batch started :emoji_wink:

Well, I gotta run. Friends coming and we are heading out on the boat to spend the day basking on Lake Travis. I can't sign off however without saying thank you to a couple of people: Al for the idea, Lance (@Holly2105) for the guidance, and who was formerly @NEPAS for some great input regarding the use of UMAi.

I'll check back in later today and see if there have been any questions posted.

Livin' good,
Robert

Looks awesome Robert!
I just started one in my curing chamber!
I hope it doesn't take 6 months!
I had a heck of a time, but managed to get it into a 3 7/8" collagen casing.
I tied it up & cut the strings off one at a time, as I slid it into the casing.
It's really tight & it took about 1/2 hour to get it in there, with Judy & I both working on it.
I hope mine looks as good as yours when it's done!!
Al

Well al, here is the answer to your question of 6 months ago: yes, UMAi works for Pancetta and it is incredible!! Was a 6 month process, which is longer than I had hoped for but the wait was well worth it.

Here's the pork belly starting out. Was just over 10#
View attachment 397553

Trimmed some of the fat cap off
View attachment 397554

Seasoned and ready to cure
View attachment 397555

Into the vac seal bag to cure, but not vacuumed
View attachment 397556

Out of the cure 10 days later, rinsed, and round two of the spices applied
View attachment 397557

Rolled as tight as I could get it and tied off
View attachment 397558

Into the UMAi bag
View attachment 397559

This is about a month into it if I remember correctly
View attachment 397560

Here it is 6 months later and out of the UMAi bag
View attachment 397561

Strings removed
View attachment 397562

Cut away view. This stuff looks amazing!!
View attachment 397563

All sliced up. did a few thick slices to chop into pieces for sauces and soups but most was sliced thin
View attachment 397564
Close up view
View attachment 397565

At the end of the day, if you have the patience and fridge space to spare, this is definitely a worthwhile endeavor!! I have a whole bunch of Pancetta that will hopefully last a while but knowing how long it takes, wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and get the next batch started :emoji_wink:

Well, I gotta run. Friends coming and we are heading out on the boat to spend the day basking on Lake Travis. I can't sign off however without saying thank you to a couple of people: Al for the idea, Lance (@Holly2105) for the guidance, and who was formerly @NEPAS for some great input regarding the use of UMAi.

I'll check back in later today and see if there have been any questions posted.

Livin' good,
Robert
Is this ready to eat or does it need to be cooked? It looks great!!

"Is this ready to eat or does it need to be cooked? It looks great!!"

It is ready to eat, no cooking required. Certainly you can use it in cooked dishes but you can also just put it on a cracker or in a salad.

Robert

Reactions: JC in GB
"Is this ready to eat or does it need to be cooked? It looks great!!"

It is ready to eat, no cooking required. Certainly you can use it in cooked dishes but you can also just put it on a cracker or in a salad.

Robert
Thanks. I'm thawing a piece of pork belly now. I plan on doing the first one flat what kind of weight loss should I try for?

Last edited:
"Thanks. I'm thawing a piece of pork butt now. I plan on doing the first one flat what kind of weight loss should I try for?"

I used pork belly for mine but believe I read somewhere that butt is also usable. The belly was rolled as tightly as I could get it, tied off, and stuffed into an UMAi bag then weighed. I let it go to 35% weight loss. I've heard of folks stopping at 30% and others who go 40% or more. The more weight loss, the lower the pH gets creating a higher acidity thus giving it a deeper "aged" flavor. I'm not an expert by any means with curing and aging meats, but I know pool water chemistry to a point of being called a "water geek" and pH plays a huge role in your pool. The same concepts of high and low pH will apply though regardless of what they are being applied to.

Off to my little pub,
Robert

"Thanks. I'm thawing a piece of pork butt now. I plan on doing the first one flat what kind of weight loss should I try for?"

I used pork belly for mine but believe I read somewhere that butt is also usable. The belly was rolled as tightly as I could get it, tied off, and stuffed into an UMAi bag then weighed. I let it go to 35% weight loss. I've heard of folks stopping at 30% and others who go 40% or more. The more weight loss, the lower the pH gets creating a higher acidity thus giving it a deeper "aged" flavor. I'm not an expert by any means with curing and aging meats, but I know pool water chemistry to a point of being called a "water geek" and pH plays a huge role in your pool. The same concepts of high and low pH will apply though regardless of what they are being applied to.

Off to my little pub,
Robert
EDIT; I meant to say pork belly. I'll have to leave it flat because it's no big enough to roll. Just want to get something started.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky