UMAi Bresaola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When you're old enough, and been doing this long enough... a squeeze gives you more information than a scale ever could... It's the same technique the Masters of years ago determined when stuff was finished...
Therefore, I conclude, nepas is an old Master..... lovingly of course....

Reactions: wade
Not sure
I go by squeeze. Weights are really not my thing.
It is great that you can tell - however it is a shame for the rest of us. The beef looks great so far, but without your experience to rely on it will make it difficult for anyone else to try to reproduce what you are doing. Would it be possible to weigh it now and then, when you judge it is ready, let us know the final weight. That way we will have a better chance of trying to create something similar.

When you're old enough, and been doing this long enough... a squeeze gives you more information than a scale ever could... It's the same technique the Masters of years ago determined when stuff was finished...
Therefore, I conclude, nepas is an old Master..... lovingly of course....

If this is a case of Nepas just showing off his masterly prowess (which I don't think it is) then that is great and showing that he is a "old master" is wonderful. However if he is showing how to make this delicious charcuterie with the aim of helping us recreate something similar, then masterly experience does not really help.

As the water content of the Bresaola is a key factor in its shelf life (and ultimately food safety) then us "grasshoppers" need help in determining when it is ready. It is a bit like saying " I don't weigh my cure because I can judge when the amount is just right". I am sure some old masters amongst us can do that - though it is not something that would be recommended for a lesser mortal to do.

BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker it would be great if you could help here. I mention it because, if you don't weigh it at the beginning then then you cannot go back and do it at the end. :emoji_ok_hand:

Y'all are killin me....lol

Ok for the kind members who want to see weight loss, i will do the weight when i go into the UMAi bag. Right now there is very little weight loss being its wrapped in clear wrap and a zip lock bag for the cure. However i am (thinking) on putting the eye into a vac seal for a couple days, then rinsing and applying a slight coat of black pepper, thyme and rosemary then into the UMAI which i will show a starting weight.

For the new folks starting the art, Please do follow your instructions so you will have the product you desire at the end.

The Bresaoloa still has a few more days before the UMAi.

Thanks y'all

Reactions: wade
Going to vac seal the bresaola for couple days. My VacMaster has a pulse function so i dont pull all the liquid out.

Looks like its floating huh.
IMG_1643.jpg

Sealing
IMG_1645.jpg

Now back in fridge for few days. Then rinse and add some thyme and rosemary and into the UMAi.
IMG_1646.jpg

Time to take the cured Bresaola out of the vac bag and prep for the UMAi.

Rinsed the cure/spice rub off, patted dry and then sprayed some sweet vermouth on all sides.

IMG_1707.jpg

Applied some Italian grinder herbs to the wet Bresaola.
IMG_1713.jpg

Into the UMAi large charcuterie bag and sealed. Weights taken in both pounds and grams.
IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

I use a Bradley smoker rack inverted with a food grade frogmat so i dont get squares on the meat. Using this will give me air flow all around the UMAi Bresaola while in the fridge. Now i wait.
IMG_1716.jpg

UMAi Bresaola in my fridge.
IMG_1718.jpg

I am a full time RVr and do all my dry and smoked sausage with 0 problems or issues.

UMAi Bresaola. Todays weight is 1,801g. Still have lots of time.

IMG_1842.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky