UDS Smoker Questions

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by pandemonium, Oct 7, 2009.

1. ddave

ddave Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Matter of personal preference, I would say. Brush would give you a thicker coat I suppose but I think a spray can would be easier.

Some people use high temp grill paint, some use regular spray paint. If you are just using it for smoking, regular spray paint would be fine. It really shouldn't get hot enough to hurt regular spray paint.

But accidents do happen. [​IMG] If you leave the lid off a little too long it can get quite hot.

I've seen some that weren't painted at all. The owner just sprayed the outside with Pam and cooked with it. After several cooks, the outside was glossy black. Pretty amazing really.

I used Duplicolor Hi Heat Engine Enamel on mine. Two coats of primer on bare metal followed by three coats of Daytona Yellow.[​IMG] Certainly not necessary but it was fun.

I've gotten the drum pretty darn hot. I set the expanded metal rack that I use occasionally right on top of the charcoal basket to burn the grease buildup off of it. Got hot enough to discolor the bottom third of the drum slightly right about the level of the charcoal basket. Was WAY hotter than it would ever be smoking or even grilling. Paint didn't come off though, just got a little darker.

Dave

2. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I used an automotive high temp spray paint ya can get at the parts store. Started with a high temp ceramic primer an then the colors, followed up by high temp clear coat. Holdin up real well.

3. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

ohh and i just read to put the grill grate 7 inches down, is that deep enough to do big pork buts? i plan on adding a second rack in the future if i can find a deal on a top, but for now i will use the lid that came with the smoker

4. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yes; you'll be fine. I've done a 14lb turkey with the flat drum lid. Plus plenty of pork shoulder and big ol briskets.

5. ddave

6. pandemonium

good deal mine is 35 inches high so i am ok, ok starting my work and buying hardware to get going on it but i cant find the expanded metal for the charcoal basket at lowes or home depot? i guess i have to call a welding shop or something like that?

7. pandemonium

But you want to locate the first grate 24" above the bottom of your charcoal basket. If your charcoal basket is on 3" legs, you want your grate 27" from the bottom of the drum. If your drum is 34" tall, then, yes, 7" from the top is the spot.

well by the time you have your charcoal basket at 2 inches from the bottom your not gonna get the cooking grate 24 above with the coals in it?

8. ddave

You measure from charcoal basket grate regardless of how tall the sides are.

So, yes, sometimes the burning charcoal is less than 24" from the cook grate depending on how much charcoal you start out with, but that's just the rule of thumb. Trust me, it works.[​IMG]

Some people make their basket sides 12" tall but mine is only 13.5 in diameter by 8" tall and even when I fill it 6" high I can cook for 16+ hours in it.

Dave

Dave

9. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

Tractor Supply and Northern Tool carry it as well if you have any of those nearby. A metal shop should be a lot cheaper though.

10. pandemonium

ok was just making sure it didnt have to be 24 inches from the coals, cool i have both of those stores right next to each other thanks

11. pandemonium

ok i am almost there and might finish it today other than a shelf and all the cool addons but where is the best place to mount the temp gauge? on the top center of the lid or on the side at cooking rack level?

12. rickw

Just below the cooking grate level.

13. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    are we going to get pics of this bad boy.......great advice from all!

14. pandemonium

ohh yea pics will be coming, i better start taking some lol, thanks for all the help everyone

15. ddave

What Rick said. [​IMG]

And remember, your side-mounted thermo is going to read about 40° to 50° lower than your center grate temp.

Dave

16. pandemonium

And remember, your side-mounted thermo is going to read about 40° to 50° lower than your center grate temp.

I don't like that what can i do to get a better reading? might as well not put a gauge on it if its that far off? any options on that?

17. rickw

Just add 50° to the reading, easy enough.

18. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

When I was at Lowes today picking up parts for UDS #2 I noticed they had 12" stem turkey fryer thermometers that go up to 500*. With a 12" stem it will be very close to the center of the drum. I picked one up to try with my existing drum.

19. rickw

That has been tried before and while it will give you a different reading it will also have the hot juices from the meat dripping on it and could give ya false readings. Not only that it makes for taking the charcoal basket out a bit of a pita.

20. pandemonium

well seems to me if you put temp gauge on ceter of lid it might be a better reading?