UDS pan or no pan for drippings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

William89

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Well I've finished my first UDS build. Going to give to a test run tomorrow with just charcoal. But one question has been bugging me. Do I need a pan below the meat to catch drippings. Or do people just let it fall where it wants, hit the coals etc. I fear that could be an issue. If any of you could lend some insight, it would be helpful

No Pan, the drippings hitting the coals is what gives USD smoked food it's awesome flavor.

I never used a pan. It kind of blocked the heat and I used more fuel.
Congrats on your UDS. They put out some good chicken.

The only time I use a drip pan in my UDS is when I'm saving the drippings for basting or gravy and then it's the smallest pan I can use for what's cooking.

Since this post I have added a diffuser due to the temp in the center being much higher than temp towards the outside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky