• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

UDS pan or no pan for drippings

William89

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 6, 2018
Well I've finished my first UDS build. Going to give to a test run tomorrow with just charcoal. But one question has been bugging me. Do I need a pan below the meat to catch drippings. Or do people just let it fall where it wants, hit the coals etc. I fear that could be an issue. If any of you could lend some insight, it would be helpful

forktender

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
No Pan, the drippings hitting the coals is what gives USD smoked food it's awesome flavor.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I agree with the above!
Al

hardcookin

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I never used a pan. It kind of blocked the heat and I used more fuel.
Congrats on your UDS. They put out some good chicken.

Bummed

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 17, 2016
I don't use one either, let it fall into the coals and enjoy the best smoked bbq you ever had!

forktender

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
The only time I use a drip pan in my UDS is when I'm saving the drippings for basting or gravy and then it's the smallest pan I can use for what's cooking.

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 22, 2017
Interesting so many 'no pan' votes. I'd think you would at least want a diffuser plate right?

William89

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 6, 2018
Since this post I have added a diffuser due to the temp in the center being much higher than temp towards the outside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.