TX Smoker Inspired Smoked Bourbon Glazed Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am planning on trying this one! It’s been years since I have eaten meatloaf and I can’t say I remember ever making it, but it looks amazing! I gotta give it a try, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Been way too long since we have had meatloaf and never one smoked. Yours looks absolutely beautiful. We will definitely be trying it! Thanks for the posting!
Thank you Kimberly - it is an awesome recipe!

I am planning on trying this one! It’s been years since I have eaten meatloaf and I can’t say I remember ever making it, but it looks amazing! I gotta give it a try, thanks for sharing the recipe.
Thank you sir!

I just warmed a slice up in the microwave for breakfast and all I can say is it is awesome. The flavor combinations are just perfect and I could not ask for a better cook - perfectly moist and tender (nothing worse than an over-mixed / over-worked meatloaf that becomes a brick when cooked) and that bourbon glaze is fantastic.

I will definitely be over-eating today...

Reactions: JLeonard
WOW!! What can I say? First off I'm honored that you found my thread worthy and inspirational. You did an absolutely amazing job putting this together and it is one superb looking meatloaf....better looking than mine in fact. I was a bit perplexed as to why yours came out so much darker than mine did (which looks amazing by the way) so went back and re-read your ingredients. I'm betting it was the brown sugar in your glaze that made the big difference in appearance. Outstanding job and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride.

Robert

WOW!! What can I say? First off I'm honored that you found my thread worthy and inspirational. You did an absolutely amazing job putting this together and it is one superb looking meatloaf....better looking than mine in fact. I was a bit perplexed as to why yours came out so much darker than mine did (which looks amazing by the way) so went back and re-read your ingredients. I'm betting it was the brown sugar in your glaze that made the big difference in appearance. Outstanding job and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride.

Robert
Thank you sir - that meatloaf is awesome and it would not have been if not for the inspiration from your post!

Between the ketchup (mostly sugar) and the brown sugar I am sure that the sugars caramelized to arrive at the darker color. All I know is this is a great meatloaf scheme and I will for sure be cooking more of them!

Thank you again, sir!

Thats an awesome feeling when you figure it out. Makes it nice just to use it and not question what the outcome will be with it.

Awesome smoke… you definitely nailed that! Top notch right there!

Might have to go look at the inspirational thread as I seemed to have missed it!

Bourbon glazed pepper-jack cheese stuffed smoked meatloaf recipe:

Meatloaf (I used 3-lbs of ground chuck so I multiplied everything 1.5X)
2 pounds 80/20 ground chuck
½ cup panko bread crumbs
½ medium onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced (I forgot to add this)
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons Maker’s Mark cask strength bourbon
2 Tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup milk
6 oz pepper jack cheese cut into strips

Mixed everything up until just mixed - do not overdo it or your meatloaf will be a tough brick. Formed half, layered the cheese in the middle careful to leave room to seal the edges, put the other half on top and sealed the edges while forming it into a loaf.

I smoked the meatloaf at 225-degrees using post oak till it got some color – about 1-1/2-hours – and then I glazed it, then about an hour later I glazed it again. Smoked it till it hit 160-degrees on the instant read thermometer (I did not time it but somewhere around 4-1/2 hours I think?), let it rest about 20-minutes, and went to town!

Bourbon glaze
½ cup ketchup
⅓ cup brown sugar
¼ cup Maker’s Mark cask strength bourbon
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes

It was spectacular.
That's a keeper. Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky