Two Pork Tenderloins Stuffed With Apple Pie Filling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Two Pork Tenderloins Stuffed
With Apple Pie Filling

Close to 3 years ago Bearcarver posted an apple pie filling stuffed loin. It sounded fantastic. I didn’t have a loin so I substituted tenderloins and tried it out. It not only sounded fantastic, it immediately became a favorite at our house. Without this post, I probably never would have added it to my to-do list. THANK YOU JOHN!!!

On Saturday the kids (step-daughter, fiancée, and Miss Linda and my first, newborn grandkid) were coming for dinner. It was a celebration of sorts so they requested that I fire up the MES 30. Aw gee. Work, work, work. LOL

I dug two pork tenderloins out of the freezer to thaw, and Friday night trimmed them, gave them a healthy coat of my pork rub, wrapped them up (cutting board and all), and put them in the fridge.

20180210_130221.jpg

Saturday afternoon I unwrapped and sliced each in “half” lengthwise—never an easy job with something as irregular as a tenderloin. I then reapplied a coating of rub, thoroughly coating each section.

To make my life easier, I cut and laid out strips of butcher twine and placed the bottom half of the tenderloin on the twine before adding the stuffing.

20180210_130237.jpg

20180210_131606.jpg

After opening both cans of apple pie filling, I mixed in cinnamon and nutmeg to taste—we like lots of both. Then the messy part started. Using a spoon, with lots of help from my fingers, I carefully laid out sections of apples, covering as much of the meat as possible. Then I added several generous dollops of the pie filling liquid. The other half of the tenderloin was placed on top, and the tying began. Of course I hadn’t cut enough pieces of twine. It was necessary to not only tie the two halves together, but arrange the trussing to keep all the pie filling inside. I was sure glad I had twine. I don’t even want to think about how many toothpicks I would have had to use.

The remainder of the pie filling went into tinfoil pan on the top rack of the MES for the entire smoke.

The sand filled water bowl went into the oven at 400* for half an hour to warm it up. Then it was out into the blowing snow storm to fire up the MES and bring my AMNPS inside. I nuked enough Orange wood pellets to fill one partial row, loaded up the AMNPS and took it outside to light and let burn for about 10 minutes.

When the MES was purring along at a relatively steady 240* according to my Smoke Therm, and the pellets and sand bowl were ready, it was time to put the meat in the smoker. Again, to make my life easier, I sprayed the rack with Pam before arranging both tenderloins on it.

With two grease pans under the rack of meat, it was now just a matter of waiting.

Since these were both quite large tenderloins, and it was cold outside, it took much longer to arrive at an IT of 140*--about 2 hours and 20 minutes. At that point, I brought the meat into the kitchen for a 20 minute rest under foil.

20180210_183819.jpg

The tenderloin, when I finally carved it, was beautiful. Nice and pink, tender, and full of juice.

20180210_215618.jpg

We had an appointment that evening, so I’m afraid there is no plated shot. However I can say, with all due modesty, that supper was fantastic. So good in fact, that my step-daughter who doesn’t really care much for tenderloin, raved about it for two days!! The “smoked apple compote” served as a condiment was absolutely delicious. The orange pellets gave it a great, light smoke flavor.

The tenderloins were so big that one was enough to feed the four of us that evening. The second one was carved and stored in the freezer—half for Miss Linda and half to take back with me for meals at the motel while hauling logs.

I did remember to take a plated shot at the motel. Even after being nuked, it was still remarkably tender and moist. As you can see, I always take the good china with me when I'm out of town. LOL

20180212_172420.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Gary

Last edited:
Wow! That's pretty cool.. :cool:
You did some prep. Sand bowl warming.. snow storm.. Lol

You said IT of 240?

"took much longer to arrive at an IT of 240*--about 2 hours and 20 minutes.":eek:

Great looking dish Gary. I've tried the apple stuffing with success on a pork loin before now I'll have to give the tenderloin a shot.

Point for sure.

Chris

That looks fantastic, I have been trying to convince my wife to let me do a smoked apple cobbler. But for some reason she already thinks 80% of our meals come from the smoker. I'll bet that left over apple filling was fantastic, way to turn extra filling into a side!

As good as they look, I am actually giving you the point for the hotel dinner, I like the way you roll! I don't eat many dinner like that when I am stuck in a hotel room!

Great looking dish Gary. I've tried the apple stuffing with success on a pork loin before now I'll have to give the tenderloin a shot.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks Chris. It's one of our favorite meals.
Stuffing a tenderloin is a lot more finicky and a whole lot messier but we prefer it to a loin--seems to have a lot more taste.
Gary

That looks fantastic, I have been trying to convince my wife to let me do a smoked apple cobbler. But for some reason she already thinks 80% of our meals come from the smoker. I'll bet that left over apple filling was fantastic, way to turn extra filling into a side!

As good as they look, I am actually giving you the point for the hotel dinner, I like the way you roll! I don't eat many dinner like that when I am stuck in a hotel room!

Thanks Pete. To be honest about it, i genrrally eat real well while I'm away from home. Miss Linda continues to cook big meals and then freezes meal sized portions for me. The freezer is always full of these meals si when I come home or Miss Linda comes up for a weekend I always get a wide variety of new meals. All I have to do is open a can of veggies and nuke supper.
Gary

Been a long time since I stuffed a loin with Apple pie filling.

Yours looks great. Nice cook.

Gary That looks great I have to say thanks for adding to my list,I will try to repay you very soon.Points
Richie

Gary That looks great I have to say thanks for adding to my list,I will try to repay you very soon.Points
Richie

Thanks Richie! I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it.
I've used so many of you'r ideas that I sure don't figure you owe me anything. That said, feel free to keep coming up with delicious things for me to try.:D

Gary

Sorry to be so late Gary, but this looks fantastic! I could eat a meal like that any day! Very nice my friend!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky