Two Fermented pepper sauce blends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
xray xray helped me a ton last year to learn safe fermenting. chopsaw chopsaw posted some nice sauce last week! I got around to bottling two ferments today. I processed both batches a few days back. I’ve started storing in half gallon jars for a few days. During that time I taste / check texture and adjust as needed. Got tired of re- bottling lol. Both are young 3 week ferments done in the 3.5% brine. I was gifted the peppers. One is an end of garden mix of red , yellow and orange peppers. Mostly reaper, scorpion , habanero and misc. super hot who knows what lol. The other was mostly green. It was a mix of jalapeño, Serrano, poblanos and unripened habanero, scorpion , reaper. Finished the red with all the brine, 1/2 cup white vinegar , 2T minced garlic, salt to taste and about 1T Splenda. It’s a thin Tabasco like sauce with lots of heat and a nice funk from ferment. Green was finished with about 2/3 of the brine, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1T salt and 1T Splenda. Also added a few drops of food coloring as there was enough off green to make the color pretty dirty. Nice bright almost citrusy hot pepper taste. Both were done in my Vitamix so no need to strain. Good start to Christmas baskets for folks with about 30 bottles total plus a couple big bottles for my stash 🙂 Thanks for looking. Happy to answer any question on my process.
566E9834-1746-413C-BEFF-E5FACEE4FA38.jpeg
40783A95-2B92-459C-BE81-5B898E00DA9F.jpeg
73FC6207-FABC-4D44-97B3-8D897D31ABFC.jpeg

That's awesome . Great color . Good idea to hold for a few days before bottling . I only use about half the brine in mine . Should I use it all ? Didn't want it to thin , and like the vinegar in it . I have to say that brine is tasty .
Nice work Jeff .

That's awesome . Great color . Good idea to hold for a few days before bottling . I only use about half the brine in mine . Should I use it all ? Didn't want it to thin , and like the vinegar in it . I have to say that brine is tasty .
Nice work Jeff .
Thanks Rich! These weee both half gallon jar ferments with peppers full to about 1” of top. I only used about 2/3 the brine in the green. I used all in the red as it was VERY hot lol. I was diluting although the brines hot too. It is rhino similar to Tabasco. I do usually use most of the brine though as the flavor is tangy , spicy and just good. I saved a good pint or so to kickstart a few new batches I’ll make with store bought peppers. I find they usually need a starter.

Reactions: xray
Nice sauce! I just found a gallon jug I misplaced from 2 years ago!! Red ripe Tabasco and jalapeno peppers....Been in brine, has a funky mold on the surface, but should still be good. Will check the pH to verify safety first though. Being that Tabasco is aged for 3 years.......should be still good.....

Will be straining/finishing that sauce soon.

Reactions: dr k and jcam222
Nice sauce! I just found a gallon jug I misplaced from 2 years ago!! Red ripe Tabasco and jalapeno peppers....Been in brine, has a funky mold on the surface, but should still be good. Will check the pH to verify safety first though. Being that Tabasco is aged for 3 years.......should be still good.....

Will be straining/finishing that sauce soon.
I had 3 habanero and super hot mix over a year old I got out a week ago. Unfortunately PH was like 5.0. No mold and no stink but I pitched them. I’m no expert but I’ve been told if there is any mold the spores likely extend throughout. I’m ultra cautious as I fit much of mine out.

Reactions: chopsaw
FWIW, xantham gum will thicken the sauce and keep the pepper and vinegar from separating.......
I forgot to mention in my post I use xanthan too. I used about 1/2 t in the red and 1/4 t in the green. The red had separated on day two so I added the extra 1/4t and reblended. Likely due to it being thinner. Green was good to go with just the 1/4t.

Reactions: xray and indaswamp
Might be Kahm....I just took a cursory look at it, "Oh, there's that hot sauce I have been looking for!" LOL! I'll give it a closer inspection when I get the chance...
I just started fermenting last year, Kahm scared the crap out of me but xray xray walked me through that. All my ferments last year had some level of Kahm. These had none.

Reactions: dr k and chopsaw
I thought Kahm was OK as long as it didn't have mold growing on it .
I think mine had some on top .
Now you have me worried . Lol .

I thought Kahm was OK as long as it didn't have mold growing on it .
I think mine had some on top .
Now you have me worried . Lol .
Kahm is not an issue. I’ve heard it can impact flavor if there is too much is all. Also anyone with issues with yeast overgrowth growth might be impacted.

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow Jeff, both of those look and sound amazing. The agent Orange sounds almost like it could be lethal but I can only guess it's gonna be fantastic. Very nice job my friend.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Those sauces look great.

I've never done sauces before. I always dried my peppers and made powder. Might just have to give sauce making a try.

Those sauces look great.

I've never done sauces before. I always dried my peppers and made powder. Might just have to give sauce making a try.
I have bags of dehydrated dried super hot pods and used some fermented hot sauce a couple years old since it's been in the fridge and no vinegar to kill Lactobacillus. Dried works fine. Reconstituted them in a 4% brine and shake it daily reveals the CO2. I use all the brine after a year ferment and no vinegar and strain. Put in 60ml dropper bottles from the compounding pharmacy to dose this thinner sauce. Just shake it when pulling out of the fridge.
20201205_104510.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky