Two bacons and brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Was time for more bacon, but gonna change it up a bit...so pork bacon, beef bacon, and a brisket!

Start with the pork, cured with tenderquick following Bearcarver Bearcarver method cold smoked with pitmasters choice pellets. Belly going in

20200728_172238.jpg

Time for some tbs...

20200728_172206.jpg

Had about 8 hours of smoke, time for a rest in the fridge

20200728_215034.jpg

Sliced, vac sealed, and ready for the freezer

20200802_161729.jpg

Now, onto the beef bacon! Friend of ours told me about this, said the cattlemens association often did this when they did cooks for the public. So started with a 16 1/2 lb brisket, was $2.99 lb.

20200709_170008.jpg

Separated the point and flat, then the flat put into pop's brine. Flat out of the brine

20200731_103953.jpg

Had a nice color all the way through , and of course had to have some test fry samples!

20200731_104609.jpg

Seasoned with black pepper, onion and garlic powder. I sliced it into smaller pieces to get plenty of smoke

20200731_111839.jpg

Had just gotten my new inkbird wifi controller so thought I'd use it to check on smoker temps using it's 4 probes. I love this thing! Thanks Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq

20200801_101357.jpg

Cold smoked this for 12 hours using pitmasters choice also, it got some good color

20200801_231517.jpg

Some sliced up

20200802_204526.jpg

Fried some up in lard, not as fatty as pork bacon

20200805_105343.jpg

Makes for a tasty bacon and egg sandwich!

20200805_132002.jpg

Last but not least by any means...the brisket point. I tied it up to make it more uniform and cook evenly. Threw it on the kettle, ran hot and fast, no wrap

20200718_161100.jpg

Some tbs happening

20200718_163615.jpg

About done, has some nice bark

20200718_200855.jpg

Have to apologize for not many pics of the finish but wife said it was my best one yet...not bad since this was the first time doing it like this

20200727_174654.jpg

I need to look in freezer for more leftover brisket, since we have been so busy I know some got put in the freezer that hasn't been eaten yet. But a pic of last little piece that wasn't froze with some sweet corn and summer squash fried in butter with onion and velveeta cheese melted on it

20200728_200804.jpg

Glad I finally got around to getting this posted. Will definitely do more beef bacon...it turned out fantastic! Different than pork bacon but still oh so good!

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! And as mom used to say...have a blessed day!

Ryan

What kind of connections do you have for pork belly, I haven't seen them for 4 or 5 months?

You are right about brisket bacon, seasoned with just pepper and garlic powder is great stuff. The flavor kind of reminds me of jerky when I sneak some off the smoker or dehydrator when it's still hot. Do you have a guess on the internal of your brisket bacon? I only cold smoke it in the cooler months and I can keep the internal around 50°.

Just a overall fantastic smoke Ryan, truly a great piece of work, LIKE! RAY
Thanks Ray ! Been a long time since I posted anything, hoping for more smoker time soon. Thanks for the like I appreciate it!

Ryan

I think its call Pastrami that has been fried... Just Saying
Well you would be right IF I had started with corned beef. But since it was plain brisket that wasn't in any kind of pickling brine, and only cold smoked, not taken to 185 or higher temps, or sous vide to make it tender...guess I'll just call it beef bacon! If you wanna call it fried pastrami, have at it. Nothing like any pastrami I've ever made or had...Just Saying

Ryan

Reactions: TNJAKE
All looks great Ryan but that beef bacon looks killer. Gotta give that a try. Nice work bud
Thanks Jake ! I appreciate it. Definitely give it a try...different texture than pork bacon but still really good.

Ryan

Reactions: TNJAKE
What kind of connections do you have for pork belly, I haven't seen them for 4 or 5 months?

You are right about brisket bacon, seasoned with just pepper and garlic powder is great stuff. The flavor kind of reminds me of jerky when I sneak some off the smoker or dehydrator when it's still hot. Do you have a guess on the internal of your brisket bacon? I only cold smoke it in the cooler months and I can keep the internal around 50°.
Almost all of my bellies come from our local Fareway store...local grocery store here in the midwest (iowa). They never used to carry them, I called and asked if they could get me some, they said probably take about 2 weeks. Not long later they started keeping them on hand.

Internal temp was less than 100 degrees F on the beef bacon...smoker temp got to 100 or 105 degrees.

Ryan

Reactions: thirdeye
All Looks Fantastic, Ryan!!
And Mighty Tasty!
Great Jobs!!
Like.

Bear
Thank you Bear! Its because of you and other members of this forum that I learned how to do alot of this and I really appreciate that! Thank you for the like, I appreciate it!

Ryan

Holy smoke! That was a lot of smoking! I have always meant to try beef bacon. Thanks for the inspiration! Big like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky