Twenty-seven-pound pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Could be 4....ive never seen 4 in a pack before but if it is that seems like small butts to me. 6.75lb each. Unless they are trimmed up. Would have to see the other side of the pack. Now im curious.

My grocer sells bone-in butts that range from 6 lbs to 11 lbs, and the 11 lb'ers are rare, rare, rare. Most are in the 7.5 to 10 lb range. The few picnics I've seen them sell cannot be mistaken for a butt, and they are usually in the 10-12 lb range.

Fingers drumming.

Inquiring minds want to know what is behind door number 3. :emoji_sunglasses:

Maybe there should have been a banana in that photo for scale? Doing the reverse math... a case of butts is 60# to 70#, and this package is almost 30#.

Maybe there should have been a banana in that photo for scale?
I agree. Need to have something to compare to. Not sure and I'm assuming(we know what that means) but I'm guessing all kroger labels are about the same size??? Here is a pic of some pork spares with a kroger label for comparison. This rack is 5.22lb.
0616202003.jpg
Screenshot_20200616-201859~2.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's a 4-pack. Though I've never seen it packaged that way, either. But at $2.99 lb, that's not the best price I've seen.

Hate to be the odd one out but (pun intended) I can see a separation line just to the left of the label that leads me to believe there are 2 butts on the right and one on the left unless it is packed that tight that you can't see the separation on the left side.

So I am guessing 3 butts, which could be a 10 pounder and couple of 8-9 lber's.

John

Hate to be the odd one out but (pun intended) I can see a separation line just to the left of the label that leads me to believe there are 2 butts on the right and one on the left unless it is packed that tight that you can't see the separation on the left side.

So I am guessing 3 butts, which could be a 10 pounder and couple of 8-9 lber's.

John
John I see the same lines your talking about. You may be onto something here.

LOL---I hope we find out before it spoils.
My guess is 4 Butts in there---Average 7 pounds.

Bear

And the answer is: two really huge butts. Maybe a matched set.

When I first cut it open I thought it was four pieces.
IMG_0501.jpg

But it's only two.

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg

So, who is the winner?

That must be the ones they used to call "The Butt Sisters".
One was Bertha Butt, and I forget the other one's name.
There was a Song!

OK---I looked it up:
For your information
Bertha had three sisters
Betty Butt, Bella Butt
And Bathsheba Butt

Bear

That must be the ones they used to call "The Butt Sisters".
One was Bertha Butt, and I forget the other one's name.
There was a Song!

OK---I looked it up:
For your information
Bertha had three sisters
Betty Butt, Bella Butt
And Bathsheba Butt

Bear
Bear I never heard of the butt sister's so I had to look it up, just watched the video of bertha butt boogie, wish I never did that! oh well that's 6 minutes of my life i'll never get back:emoji_laughing:

I was gonna smoke one of these tomorrow but it’s so big I decided to start tonight. Masterbuilt 560 lit and heat up to 225.

Yep , thems the kind I like...big ol' butts! Lol! R rmcrob . When you getting the smoke rolling? Now we need to see an end product!
noboundaries noboundaries . I should have took you up on the bets! ( I didnt because i seriously had my doubts...i got lucky. haha!)

We are at 14.5 hours now, and it is just starting to come out of the stall. I also had problems (in the middle of the night, of course) with Jealous Devil lump charcoal getting caught in the hopper of the Masterbuilt 560. I lost a little time there, but not really much. I've bumped the temperature up to 275 now so I can finish and share it out before supper time tonight.

So, I'm learning a lot about big pieces of meat and about my new smoker/grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky