Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

usmcoklahoma

Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Hey folks. I know its been asked a billion times, but I only have a few things to work with.

First, I need a basic Herb rub... if one exists. Then, after that, do I rub just the outside of the bird or can I take the rub inside to?

Next, what kind of wood(s) would be best out of Hickory, Apple and Pecan? These are the only woods I have to work with and I dont think mail-order wood would arrive in time.

I had an idea of helping the bird stay moist by stuffing it with a beer can full of water.

And finally, I understand that I should cook the bird until its about 160 at the thickest parts which I figure would be about 6 to 8 hours. Any help here would be great. Thanks!

For the rub i really can't hlp as everyones taste vary. But i would recomend to either brine or inject the bird then you can rub either softened butter or olive oil over the whole bird and under the skin . season the same way over the whole bird ,under the skin and inside the cavity.

lokking at the woods you have available i would go w/ a mix of pecan and apple.

If you are going to use the can i would use fruit juice instead of water . But if none available then season the water.

160° at the thickest part of the breast and at the thighs also.

I did one yesterday as practice.  Smoked for 5 1/2 hours at 225 until the temp of the bird was 166.  Did not do much of an rub due to the brine overnight.  I used apple wood and it seemed to give a nice sweet smell and taste. 

icon_cool.gif

I would do everyting that Bob (eman) said. I would recommand that you brine your bird in the Slaughter House Brine by Tip. Then I would also do the butter and herbs under the skin thing too. Now for the smoker  I would run it at about 275° to 325° or so and take the bird to about 165° in the breast and let it rest (thats where you get the time for pictures) and then you can serve it after 30 minutes or so. Good Luck and Q-view too.

Well I found the rub that i Will use. its a McCormick herb rub. So my only real problem is what wood and what to fill the beer can with to keep the bird moist. I appreciate the help thus far.

That's great advice above. ^^^ I would use any of the woods or use them all combined. I'm a fan of multiwood smoking.

i've used either pecan and hickory pellets.  

brining overnight in 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of apple juice, 1 gallon of cranberry juice, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar and a cup of kosher salt. i'll refrigerate my brine overnight to chill it.  

i've never really used a rub though this season i'll do it.  

in addition to the brining, i've injected the bird with butter and apple juice before but don't know if that is helping or hurting.  

before placing the bird in the smoker i'll stuff it with diced apples and pears.  i've tried oranges but i've gotten subtle bitterness from doing that.  perhaps it was something else causing the bitterness, but i'm not sure.

Great information ^^^^ 

I just did my practice bird and used hickory because that's all I have to work with is hickory or mesquite.  It didn't overpower the bird and gave a very nice and subtle smoke flavor.  I haven't used the others you mentioned due to availability.

For moisture, if you can brine, I'd brine with Tip's Slaughter House Poultry Brine.  I've used it for whole chicken and my recent 12 1/2 lb turkey and smoked at 250* and there wasn't a dry spot to be found in any type of bird I've done yet.

Well I found the rub that i Will use. its a McCormick herb rub. So my only real problem is what wood and what to fill the beer can with to keep the bird moist. I appreciate the help thus far.
I just read in Jeff's how-to on brining that you need to be certain the rub is not salt-based. In fact it should be salt free. I just used a salt free rub on my chicken that I brined and believe me, it didn't need another grain of salt for flavor..

thanks for the help and replies. My wife is pretty adamant about just a rub and then me smoke it. Now I am curious, those of you who use hickory, do you use straight hickory all the way or do you toss in another wood towards the end to even the flavor?

I like to cut the hickory with apple or cherry. I also like Pecan strait. 

Smoked a 13.5 lb turkey yesterday.  Brined for 24 hrs with a apple juice/orange juice/water/spices brine.  I rubbed with a dry rub on the inside and added a couple of table spoons of oil to create a paste that I rubbed under the skin and all over it.  Then smoked with apple and cherry mixture for 6-1/2 hrs @ 250.  Couldn't have been better.   The paste seems to stick a lot better and the oil gives it a really great color.

Sorry its been a year folks. Im about to make smoked turkey breasts this year. Im thinking an apple brine, then a rub. I may see what happens when I use my ork rib rub. Im debating, I know im going to use hickory but I also have apple and cherry, so which one would be better between apple and cherry?

I know a lot of you smokin gurus spatchcock your chickens.   Do you do the same with turkey?
Hey!  This is a family friendly forum! 

Seriously, though.  I heard an interview with Alton Brown on NPR a few days ago, and he recommended spatchcocking turkey for "regular" in the oven cooking if you feel like it.  I have to think this might work well for smoking, too.  But I'd love to know what the gurus here think about that concept, too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky