Turkey thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stormtrooper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Michigan
First time posting in a while, been sick the past year. Anyway doing some turkey thighs and was wondering about the IT of them. I have seen anywhere from 165 to 180. What does everyone think? I obviously do not want them raw and yet not so tough you need the jaws of life to cut into them. Any help I can get would be appreciated. Thanks.

Its hard to mess up thighs, I'd go 175 degrees. Also Im jealous, I never find trays of turkey thighs. I'd love to make some with an Alabama white sauce. good luck and don't forget the pics.

Lots of guys myself included like dark meat higher around 180F-200F so they breakdown more. Maybe pull them staggered and do a shoot out and see what you prefer.

Why the higher temps for the thighs? I'm finishing up some turkey wings now but I was thinking as long as I reach 165+ I'd be ok?

165F is safe and OK. I find when pulling this low dark meat is a bit chewier than I prefer. Pulling higher means more breakdown and meat is more tender. The same goes for pulled pork. IE Can eaten much lower but you want extensive breakdown and I go 205F for PP. The missus likes to pull meat off the bone with fingers and not go cavewoman. Exact opposite is true for breasts and pork loins. Zero fat so pull at lowest you're comfortable at. IE get familiar with USDA charts if want to explore. Meat is fine to pull much lower but the temps have to held for a certain period of time.

Reactions: Zero Hour
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky