Turkey Spatchcock or whole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mike F

Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Gonna be doing the Thanksgiving this year on my pellet grill.. Not sure if i should spatchcock the bird or or leave it whole? what flavor pellets ? Hickory? apple/pecan blend?

I always spatch mine, they cook much faster & more evenly.
I like hickory too, but it's easy to get around here and cheap!
Al

I almost always spatchcock all poultry. I like the more even cooking. Plus throw the back & neck in smoker to use later to make stock for gravy.

My family likes them whole, for no real reason. Apple wood is preferred but hickory if I don't have any apple.

Chris

I vote for cooking it whole as well. It takes longer to cook, but the presentation at the dinner table is much nicer.

For smoke, I like hickory as well, though I have used mesquite a few times successfully.

Your choice I have done most of mine whole as said already for the looks. As said spatchcock is a faster cook. As I've said so many times it comes do to personal preference. Try and see what you like best whole bird takes longer then the spatchcock.

Warren

Reactions: buzzy
Neither: halve it. Much easier to handle. At our house, carving is done beforehand in the kitchen and meat is placed on platters so the look is nothing. I like hickory also PM blend for bird. Keep temps high for good skin and fast cook, so the smoke is mild.

Neither: halve it. Much easier to handle. At our house, carving is done beforehand in the kitchen and meat is placed on platters so the look is nothing. I like hickory also PM blend for bird. Keep temps high for good skin and fast cook, so the smoke is mild.
Nice suggestion on halving the bird. I smoke one every year but have always left it whole. I might try this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky