Turkey skin problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

P1harleyford

Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Hello this is my first post on the forums and was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what I’m doing wrong with my smoked turkey. I was following Malcom Reids older turkey recipe the only modification is the injection I use. I’m smoking on a bge large no water pan 300 degrees according to the dome temp gauge. It was a 14 lber brined injected dried and sprayed with vedge oil and rubbed. But after the first hour when I opened to spray again the skin had torn to shreds and 80% of the bare meat was showing so I seasoned the meat cover the top with foil to try to preserve the rest of the skin and it was done in a total of three hours the meat was as delicious but the skin was rubbery and really dark I’ve done this recipe three times now and haven’t changed anything. The first year it turned out perfect the last two years have been like this. Thanks for any advice

Millennial, snowflake turkey.:cool:

Sorry I just got done with a 12hr shift at work.

Chris

If it was a store bought turkey it might be that the brine was high in salt and about 9.5% it usually says on the label. If you brined with more salt and put it in a 300 degrees it caused the skin to draw up due to high salt. I have had that happen to me and no longer brine my turkeys just use injection and rub and have not had that problem anymore.

If it was a store bought turkey it might be that the brine was high in salt and about 9.5% it usually says on the label. If you brined with more salt and put it in a 300 degrees it caused the skin to draw up due to high salt. I have had that happen to me and no longer brine my turkeys just use injection and rub and have not had that problem anymore.
Thanks I’ll give that a shot next time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky