Turkey Newbie. Need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebigsmooth

Original poster
Jul 5, 2016
I've been reading over these topics and couldn't find one close to my situation.
I harvested o e of our home grown heritage breed turkeys yesterday. Kept them on the small side.

She is an 8lb bird ready to smoke. Any advice for what temp and time for my MES?

Greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've smoked a handful at 275 since that's the hottest my MES goes to.  Consensus on here seems to be that low and slow may dry out poultry, so it's better to go a little hotter.  I've always injected mine and they turn out wonderfully.  Good luck!

Roughly how long? What internal temp am I aiming for?

Aiming for 165
Thinking maybe 3.5-4hrs

I just did a 12 lb turkey in my MES at 275 in about 5.5 hours. It ended up at 175 when I pulled it. I really need a good thermometer that can monitor it. I went a little higher than I anticipated.

You really don't want to go above 165 in the breast or it will be dry.

So if you pull it at 155-160, and rest it on the counter for 30 minutes, the carryover cooking will get it to 165.

Al

Reactions: strycker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky