Turkey "Fatties"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greazy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Only after discovering this forum did I learn about "Fatties." Never being one to leave well enough alone, I immediately realized the similarity between the one pound roll of sausage and the one pound roll of ground turkey.

I intend to smoke a "turkey fattie. " Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just my opinion.............dry and flavorless, but ya have to try it yourself
icon_mrgreen.gif

I have smoked turkey fatties. You can either do just the roll of ground turkey or you can mix it with a 50% reduced fat JD sausage roll and then re-roll it.

In either case it doesn;t have a lot of fat or moisture so you can add a little ketchup or egg and then mix it up and reroll it. Of course then we are bordering on meatloaf but here is what I call my "lower fat" fatty.

Lower Fat Fatty

1 roll JD 50% reduced fat sausage
1 roll Shady Brook ground turkey
4 ounces cabot 75% fat reduced cheddar cheese shredded
4 ounces 2% milk fat reduced cheddar shredded
1 apple peeled and chopped fine
1/2 onion peeled and chopped fine

In a bowl mix the ground turkey and sausage.
Put between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll out flat and refrigerate
saute the onion and apple in a non stick pan till soft, let cool
remove fatty from fridge
sprinkle cheese on top
spread onion/apple mixture on top of cheese
roll fatty up, pinching ends to keep mixture inside
put in a 225 smoker for several hours until temp reaches 165-170

I have smoked a TF also and it had great flavor but was dry.. I Crumbled it and used it in Tomato sauce and it was real good meat sauce

My next one I plan to wrap in thick slice bacon the add some moisture during the smoke..

Keep us posted on your smoke... Pics are a plus...

did my first turkey fatty over the weekend (posted a q-view in the roll call forum)

it was very dry but still had excellent flavor. my girlfriend doesn't like pork sausage so it gives me a goal to make the turkey taste as good as the pork, without mixing in pork to moisten it.

what i'm thinking for my next one is after it's cooked to about 160 i'm gonna slice it, then mop it, and put the slices back in the smoker to finish it. it might work or it might come out awful but just something to experiment with.

OK, it's a done deed. Mindful of the good advice re them drying out, I injected all of the TONY CHACHRE'S Cajun Butter solution that they would hold. I had given them a seasoning of TONE'S Cajun mix and salt beforehand. I put them on the bottom rack with pork shoulder "ribs" dripping grease and taste on them from the higher racks. Mighty tastey!

I think next time I do them I will peel off the plastic covering before the slimey suckers are thawed. They are a little hard to turn loose of when raw, but quickly form a crust when being cooked.

Thanks for your input.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky