Turkey dilemma

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PamAndJim

Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
Next weekend my wife and I are hosting a "Friendsgiving" for a bunch of our friends. Last year I attempted to smoke a turkey for the first time. I wasn't able to get the temp in my smoker (a cheap vertical propane smoker from Lowes) high enough, so I ended up smoking it for a few hours and then finishing it in the oven. I don't remember exactly, but I think I got the internal temp up around 140 and then transferred it to the oven. The result was good (but not great), and people enjoyed the turkey.

Fast forward to this year. My original plan was to replace my smoker with a WSM. But, those plans were put on hold when we decided to build a new house. So, I am still stuck with the same old smoker. My plan was to buy a Charbroil Big Easy and just cook the turkey in there. But, here is the rub (get it?... rub) I found out yesterday that I have to work 10-3 on the day we're hosting the event. This is smack dab in the middle of prime cooking time as the guests will be arriving around 6-6:30. My wife does not handle raw poultry, which adds another little layer of complexity.

This is where you guys and gals come in. I need to figure out a plan that will allow me to start the bird before I go to work and finish it when I get home. One thought that I had was to start the turkey on the smoker before I leave for work (so, probably around 9:15) and smoke it at as high a temp as I can manage on my smoker, which is usually somewhere between 225 and 250. Then, when I get home from work (around 3:30) i would transfer the bird to the Big Easy and finish it off in there. At that point it'll have a couple/few hours to cook, which should be plenty of time to finish it off. I think timing wise, this would be ideal. But, I am a little concerned about the time in the smoker and whether 6ish hours at 225-250 degrees would keep he meat within the "safe zone" until I can get home and transfer it to the Big Easy. The pieces of equipment at my disposal are my Weber Genesis gas grill and the oven (boring). So, what would yall do?

I had a situation like this before and what I did was smoke my turkey the day before when I had plenty of time. After letting it rest for a full hour I carved it up and made my gravy. On the day of, I have a big oven safe platter that I put the carved breast and thighs on, then stacked the legs on top and put it in the oven at 300 for 10 min. When I pulled it out I garnished it with some fresh herbs and put it out to serve. I didn't get that perfect Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving look but the bird tasted fantastic.

Also, since I knew that i was going to try for a re-heat I cut the salt in my normal brine by about 1/3 and brined it for 3 full days as well as injecting said brine into the bird. The results were amazing.

Thank you for the reply. I thought about doing something similar. But, with the day before being a Friday, I have to work both of my jobs and will be gone all day. As much as I hate to admit it, my best option is going to be the oven. That way, I can have it all ready to go and just have my wife pop it in while I am gone.

I wasn't able to get the temp in my smoker (a cheap vertical propane smoker from Lowes) high enough, so I ended up smoking it for a few hours and then finishing it in the oven. So, what would yall do?

We had that same issue once with a Masterbuilt Smokehouse and the issue was easy to resolve by replacing the regulator and hose assembly with a replacement unit from Lowe's. I think the repair was $20 or so, but that solved the problem and the smoker was able to hit 300+ after that.

Might be worth a shot.

We had that same issue once with a Masterbuilt Smokehouse and the issue was easy to resolve by replacing the regulator and hose assembly with a replacement unit from Lowe's. I think the repair was $20 or so, but that solved the problem and the smoker was able to hit 300+ after that.

Might be worth a shot.

I wondered if that might help. I'm planning on gifting it to a friend when I get my WSM (once we sell our house). But, I'll look into that if I decide to keep it. Appreciate the info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky