Turkey Cranberry and Orange Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
Don't ask me why but for the last few years I've been trying to come up with a good tasting cranberry orange sausage, only to end up with something not as good as I had hoped. Not a failure but not anything to rave about. this year i know of two mistakes I made. one was using dried orange zest from a bottle instead of zest from a fresh orange. I could hardly taste the flavor.  Mistake number 2 was when I thought I had a good mix of seasoning I decided to add some more ginger. BAM.... overpowered everything else.

Oh well maybe I'll get it right next year.

The recipe is a combination of a few recipes I found on the web with my own twists.

Turkey Cranberry and Orange Sausage;

Turkey Thigh                             2.5 lb's

Smoked Sweet Bacon             1.4 lb's

Dryed Cranberries soaked

in Red Wine                            104 grams

Salt                                                30

Sugar                                            14

Ground sage                                  9

Dried Orange zest                         9

White Pepper                                 4.5

Ginger                                             2

Ground Cloves                               1.7

Cinnimon                                        1

Nutmeg                                           1

8e4e8b0c_IMG_0202_1.jpg

Thanks for lookin.

Dan

Dan I totally love the flavors of fresh orange zest and ginger. I use it in stir fry dishes. Your sausage looks awesome by the way!

Nice work, even though it didn't totally work out.  I've found sausage recipes are the toughest to master.  Keep trying, and keep us posted!

Nice looking sausage. I wouldnt have the first clue what it would taste like but looks tastey. how did you cook it? did you smoke it, grill it or pan fry it.......................
points.gif

Do you have any special method to do the sausages?

Wow, this is an old forgotten one. As far as cooking them I would just simmer them in a pan on the stove...Might be good on the grill though.

Thanks for your reply but was not asking for the cooking method, was asking for the making of part

Sorry Chef.
Nothin fancy here, my typical fresh sausage I mix everything together till it's a sticky paste then stuff into casings (these were 30-32) then I like to refrigerate over night before eating to let the flavors meld together.
I'd guess I used a medium plate on the grinder. (3/16 - 1/4)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky