Turkey Breast Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
How long can I keep a fresh, not frozen, turkey breast in my garage refrigerator before I cook it? I say garage refrigerator because it might get opened once a day,

I am going to smoke it the day before thanksgiving, and just want to know how early I can buy it.

How long can I keep a fresh, not frozen, turkey breast in my garage refrigerator before I cook it? I say garage refrigerator because it might get opened once a day,

I am going to smoke it the day before thanksgiving, and just want to know how early I can buy it.

I am assuming your garage fridge doenst have the beer in it? LOL

Sorry I just had to.

What's the temp of your fridge ? Put a therm in there so you know . I keep mine at 36 degrees .

Sell by date then you can add about 3 days past that. Make sure the packaging isn't punctured
That's what I go by. I generally try to cook or freeze by the sell by date, but I'm not much worried if it is a day or three past the sell by date.

Another thing of note is if the meat is vacuum sealed like ribs and butts often are. A store butcher once told me that their label making system would only allow them to date so far ahead, even when the product actually had a longer shelf life due to vacuum sealing. He told me they just printed up a new label when the current one expired, and put it back in the case.

I'm going to cook it the day before thanksgiving. is there a safe way to cook it twice, some the day before and finish the day of? Or.just warm it up the day of, which would be my tendency.

Fully cook once you start and rewarm the next day, I usually go on and carve when it's done cooking after giving it some rest time, and put the carved meat in foil pans. Maybe add a little broth and toss the meat around before reheating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky