Upside down Turkey smoke for T-day, anyone done it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did parts similar to 3rd eye for a very long time, but then a couple of years ago I started doing some experiments with whole bird cooking and discovered a little trick to get the highly desired Normon Rockwell bird that is properly cooked.......

The little secret is to remove 1/3 of the backbone to allow for air flow through the chest cavity.
View attachment 677671
This allows for the breast to come up to temp faster as it is the thickest point......

Next I "roast" it at 325, this is a 20lbr after 3.5 hours (Yup thats it!)...... note the trussing for presentation and to keep the drums a bit closer to the bird body for even cooking.
View attachment 677672
The above results speak for themselves......This is when I pulled it to rest in the house oven @ 145 till all the sides were done......
View attachment 677673
This method will get a try here very soon.

Reactions: civilsmoker
This method will get a try here very soon.
Chiler, place the top part of the big bird in the center above the deflector plate, closer to the back of the CC vs the front (so the front of the bird is a uniform distance from the CC wall curve), I'm just assuming the air flow in your 1250 will be similar to mine...... you can spin it part way through if you see things happening in an uneven way..... I did foil the wing tips the last 40 mins....

Reactions: chilerelleno
Some cool ideas and pictures being shared here, thanks everyone.

I decided for this weekend I am going to stick my original plan of cooking the inverted bird. I setup the smoker this afternoon with a 1/2" steel rod and some bailing wire, I can adjust the height once the bird is on the rod and in the smoker. I removed one of the hinge screws as it is pretty much centered front to back and ran the wire through the hole and around the rod. With the grates out there is enough room for the bird to sit over the drip pan.

Going to try the bird in half method next, thanks thirdeye thirdeye . Also will still brine the bird Friday night, cooking Saturday.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the great discussion.

Cheers

IMG_5649.JPG

IMG_5650.JPG

Reactions: Fueling Around
Good luck and enjoy. Let us know what you think.

Chris

After cutting your first one, you will be an expert. Start off with the bird breast up. Cut the skin only between the leg and the breast, then continue down the thigh. This will expose the pelvis and a short section of the backbone. Pick up the bird and crack the backbone, then finish off the cut with a knife and tidy up with some scissors. If you want, you can also use scissors to remove the backbone and ribs.
View attachment 677680
View attachment 677681
View attachment 677682
Guess I'm an expert now... have done it once! Have to say thanks thirdeye thirdeye your advice came in handy... and I loved how it turned out!

20230822_194633.jpg

Worked so well!
And this was my first smoked turkey. Brine in Pop's low salt with a bit of lemon extract added, thanks to some advice from chopsaw chopsaw and it was very moist.

20230822_195924.jpg

Will definitely be doing this again!
Look forward to how your bird turns out!

Ryan

This isn't a turkey shot but this is how I use to do parts for reference..... I got the time down on which parts went on in which order so they were all done at the same time. For chicken I often did 375 vs the turkey 335 to get better skin since it was a shorter cook.....
birdparts.jpg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Alternate approach: use the rotisserie on the grill and a smoker tube. The bird bastes itself, skin is a dark golden brown, meat is really moist and the smoke flavor is perfect. This has been my go to route for a number of years. BTW: when using a rotisserie don't stuff the bird - food safety.

Gentlemen, start your enzymes...

The turkey is brined and seasoned and on the rod, hanging in the smoker and timer has started. It looks like it will work very well, lots of clearance to the top, wing tips just touching the drip pan, lots of space around the bird. I set the temp at 300* to start, see how the temp climbs and the color looks in an hour or so.

Standby, more to follow.

Cheers

IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky