Turkey Breast - Brine or not to Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wxmanmac

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Wichita, Kansas
I am planning on smoking 2 Honey Suckle Turkey Breast, approximately 10 pounds each, but the package says it is basted with 15% turkey broth, salt, sugar and natural flavoring. My question is, should I use a store bought turkey brine that already has sea salt in it or make my own that has little to no salt in the brine? I don't want the breasts be too salty. One breast will be going to someone else. All suggestions are welcomed.

The missus is a big fan of the HS turkeys and they have a nice flavor so brining is not as critical as other birds.  You could still do it but maybe just do a nice rub instead.  I never heard of store bought brine and have always made mine.  I think Pop's Brine is the bomb for smoked turkey but it is a cure brine.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/pops-wet-curing-brine

Those breasts have been packed in a brine solution.  They really need no more than a rub, light smoke then bring them up to an IT of 165 and then a rest  before you carve. b

Those breasts have been packed in a brine solution.  They really need no more than a rub, light smoke then bring them up to an IT of 165 and then a rest  before you carve. b

Yep that.

If you can get an all natural non enhanced bird, brining is great for adding additional flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky