Tube reignites while inside smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mromj

Original poster
Greetings,

Apologies if this is a repeat topic. I did a search but it wasn't exhaustive. I'm running an expandable amazen tube smoker using OEM pellets in my MES40. Two cooks in a row my tube smoker has reignited inside the smoker after about 50 -75% have smoldered. Both times I've had to pull the tube and douse the flames. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what's the solution?

Thanks!

I still have this issue from time to time, to this day. My set up is different from you, I use a Lang and my tubes go in my firebox. I believe it’s primarily too much airflow; but I also think sometimes the smoldering cherries get too hot and ignite regardless of airflow (I’ve had mine tucked away from all airflow and they have still ignited).

Tinker with it, location of tube, airflow (adjust if possible). Nowadays I keep my vents almost totally shut when it’s windy out)

Reactions: Blues1 and mromj
I still have this issue from time to time, to this day. My set up is different from you, I use a Lang and my tubes go in my firebox. I believe it’s primarily too much airflow; but I also think sometimes the smoldering cherries get too hot and ignite regardless of airflow (I’ve had mine tucked away from all airflow and they have still ignited).

Tinker with it, location of tube, airflow (adjust if possible). Nowadays I keep my vents almost totally shut when it’s windy out)

Thanks for the advice. This model of MES won't allow the top vents to close completely but I'll try keeping the chip loader in and see what happens.

Reactions: 73saint
Thanks for the advice. This model of MES won't allow the top vents to close completely but I'll try keeping the chip loader in and see what happens.
You don’t want to close those top vents.
I agree, if you close the top vents on a MES I’m afraid you’ll get stale smoke. I always run my MES with the top vent fully open, chip loader half or all the way out depending on wind conditions, and place the tube to the far left in the bottom of the smoker at the same level as the heating element.

Reactions: mromj and DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky