Trying to pre plan for birthday party: should I grill the day before or get up early and cook day of

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mojojojo

Original poster
May 30, 2021
Okay So here’s a few details: having a birthday party and I plan to make ribs and Tri tip. I plan on grilling the tri tip before the party starts (Saturday) since it doesn’t take long, but the issue is the ribs. I usually make ribs in my smoker which can only fit 4 slabs of ribs and smoke for about 6 hours. I plan on making 6-8 slabs (6slabs for sure)
So technically I can put 4 slabs in the smoker, then cook 2 more slabs on the grill.

The obvious thing to do would be to cook everything on Friday because I always end up running late when Im cooking and hosting for a big party. I dont want to be super busy with cooking the meat And sides when I know Im going to be busy doing other little things. But now Im second guessing myself and saying the party starts at 2pm so I should get up early and cook so the meat will be fresh.

Any advice? And if I decide to cook Friday, how do I reheat the ribs to make them feel fresh? Just warm them in the oven on low right?

A recent thread about ribs with some good info:

Reactions: bauchjw and gmc2003
You could use rib racks and do all the ribs the day of. Ribs seem to be fairly predictable on the end time.

Warming ribs wrapped in foil on the grill works good, but I feel they tend to get overcooked very easily and become FOTB and I prefer a little chew to it.

A recent thread about ribs with some good info:
Thanks I will read it.

I just posted in the other thread so may as well put it here to. If you want to do them ahead of time do like 3-2 or 2-2 or 5 hours then the day of the event do the final hour as you normally do the last hour

Definitely think you should do TT day of though! A long rest is good for it. Ribs as they described above will save you stress though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky