Make ahead ribs question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Event coming up, I need to smoke 20 racks of spare ribs. I've determined I can get 10 at a time in my Camp Chef PG36. I do 3-2-1, the foil part is with butter, honey and brown sugar. I understand I can partially cook ribs the day before and finish the day of, which I want to do so I can get half of them done the day before. Should I leave the ribs wrapped in foil with the juices in the refrigerator overnight, or unwrap them and cover them in the fridge overnight? My hope is to smoke 10 racks the day of the event and while folks are chowing down on them I'll finish the remaining 10 racks with the final hour in the grill. Any suggestions? As always, than you for any advice.

Reactions: JLeonard
I think if you leave the smoked ribs wrapped in the foil and juices overnight that they'd become a little mushy/soggy. You'd be better off cooking the 10 racks fully the day before and then reheating them in an oven on it's lowest setting the day of the party.

Chris

I usually smoke my ribs a day or 3 before. I heat them in a covered dish at 275 for about 45-60 minutes when ready to eat.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have reheated many things in hot water, but I never thought to do it with ribs. Sounds like a great idea to me.
Al

However you warm them up, a quick sear on the grill for a bit a char or to set the sauce would be on my to do list.

Thank you everyone, all good ideas. I had some ribs left over from Sunday, even zapping them in the microwave and they were still excellent. I'll probably completely cook them completely, minus the sauce, then grill them the day of with the sauce to put a little char.
I'll be getting St. Louis cut spares from Costco, plus I have about 15 pounds of rib tips I've trimmed when I get whole spares, and some Moo and Oink hot links.

Reactions: crazymoon
BG, Good idea, i have done 6-7 racks of ribs dry and slightly undercooked. Next day wrapped in foil with sauce with a good reheat via smoker or grill-excellent results!

Another idea is if you have or can get rib racks in time you can load the ribs in the racks for warming them. I don't like cooking in them but warming should work well and it will double(or more) your capacity.

Can you elaborate a little bit on why you dont like to cook with them? I have a similar question as OP and my smoker can hold a lot less than OP’s

Another idea is if you have or can get rib racks in time you can load the ribs in the racks for warming them. I don't like cooking in them but warming should work well and it will double(or more) your capacity.
i was trying to respond to you^^

If your doing something like 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 do the first two numbers ahead of time then do the last hour just before serving

Can you elaborate a little bit on why you dont like to cook with them? I have a similar question as OP and my smoker can hold a lot less than OP’s
I have several of the racks. I prefer not to cook with them because where the ribs touch the meat side of the ribs, or touch each other it rubs off the rub and it doesn't look as nice. I also prefer to use a mop instead of a spray bottle while cooking, the racks make it impossible. My two cents.

I have several of the racks. I prefer not to cook with them because where the ribs touch the meat side of the ribs, or touch each other it rubs off the rub and it doesn't look as nice. I also prefer to use a mop instead of a spray bottle while cooking, the racks make it impossible. My two cents.
Oh okay, thanks for your opinion. But I just wanted to make sure that the reason why you dont like to cook with them isn’t because the meat doesn’t cook evenly or doesn’t cook well.
My smoker can only hold 4 racks so I am seriously considering a rib rack for an upcoming party.

Oh okay, thanks for your opinion. But I just wanted to make sure that the reason why you dont like to cook with them isn’t because the meat doesn’t cook evenly or doesn’t cook well.
My smoker can only hold 4 racks so I am seriously considering a rib rack for an upcoming party.
I've done 6 racks in my WSM 18.5 in the racks. They just barely fit, have to curve them around. Works fine, just the appearance.

Reactions: mojojojo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky