Trying to decide...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great . I like it a bit higher in finished IT . It really gets tender about 180 .
Love the color you got on the outside .

Yeah , it's good stuff . You did the inject / hold over night . That's the way to do it .
Nice work bud .
I bought another pork shoulder but this one is bone in - I will have to de-bone it later today or tomorrow, then inject it with Tony Cachere's and let it rest over night, then smoke/roast it, but this time going to give it a maple syrup glaze...

155-degrees (previous shoulder) was excellent but I am going to 165-degree on this one and then decide if I want to try 180 on the next one. I just do not want to risk it getting too dry because I will not eat it if that happens.

Reactions: chopsaw
I am going to 165-degree on this one and then decide if I want to try 180 on the next one.
Since you're deboning 165 would be the safe temp if you roll it back up . The inside will no longer be sterile . It's a great way to cook 'em .

Since you're deboning 165 would be the safe temp if you roll it back up . The inside will no longer be sterile . It's a great way to cook 'em .
Interesting - the last one was boneless and easy to see where the bone was removed. I did not tie the roast though - I just put it in the smoker and cooked it! I will probably tie this one - it is a bit larger than the previous roast.

Should I smoke/roast a pork belly, or smoke/roast a pork shoulder...

I do not want to make pulled pork - I've just never been a fan of the stuff. I know people love it but it doesn't do a thing for me, and besides, I have to avoid the sugary barbecue sauces (Dr. orders) that people seem to drown it in. I want something more roasted than smoked, but with a nice smoke flavor. A little brown sugar in the rub I can get away with. Of course I will have to rely on kiln dried HEB or Home Depot hickory.

I am stuck in a whirlwind! :emoji_laughing:
we usually have 4-5lbs of smoked butt in suck bags in he freeze, so I only do butts when they go on sale cheap. I mka my ownCarolina vinegar sauce. It doesn't suit most BBQ yankee's taste, I I have some copy cat SBR on back up for the sweet sauce lovin folks.

I bought another pork shoulder but this one is bone in - I will have to de-bone it later today or tomorrow, then inject it with Tony Cachere's and let it rest over night, then smoke/roast it, but this time going to give it a maple syrup glaze...

155-degrees (previous shoulder) was excellent but I am going to 165-degree on this one and then decide if I want to try 180 on the next one. I just do not want to risk it getting too dry because I will not eat it if that happens.
If it gets too dry then you can still save it by wrapping in foil and throwing in the oven until 203-205F and the collagen will melt and you will have pulled pork. Shoulder saved :D

If it gets too dry then you can still save it by wrapping in foil and throwing in the oven until 203-205F and the collagen will melt and you will have pulled pork. Shoulder saved :D
As I have stated previously, pulled pork does nothing for me. I cannot consume bread so sandwiches are out, sugary barbecue sauces are out too, and I do not want to wait all day long for something to cook. I've had some pulled pork in the past - some that was supposed to be "excellent" even - just not my thing.

I am also not too crazy about smoked brisket for many of the same reasons - and I have had "the best." It's OK but I would rather have a rotisserie roasted beef, rare, sliced thin, with mushroom gravy, and not have to wait 12-hours plus to eat it.

Fords and Chevys 😎

Reactions: chopsaw
As I have stated previously, pulled pork does nothing for me. I cannot consume bread so sandwiches are out, sugary barbecue sauces are out too, and I do not want to wait all day long for something to cook. I've had some pulled pork in the past - some that was supposed to be "excellent" even - just not my thing.

I am also not too crazy about smoked brisket for many of the same reasons - and I have had "the best." It's OK but I would rather have a rotisserie roasted beef, rare, sliced thin, with mushroom gravy, and not have to wait 12-hours plus to eat it.

Fords and Chevys 😎
No problem, if it gets too dry I'm sure there is an acceptable dish and cooking approach to save it :D

That's a bridge to cross when getting there :)

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky