Trying to decide...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the shout out. It’s a good one for breading. I also like to mix them with powdered parm depending on what I am cooking. Often in order for a good coating I’ll do egg wash, almond flour, egg wash, rinds or rinds blend.
need to remember that

Reactions: jcam222
need to remember that
Check these out too, Whisps came up with a delicious way to sell their manufacture scrap. I got about 30 bags of these on clearance.
F5370AA0-C7D9-441E-B9A5-C206AAD8C95C.jpeg

Just got back from doc - they checked my A1C (finger stick in office) and... they were actually worried because it was 5.6!!!

They lowered my insulin and drew blood for a more official A1C test just to be sure!

Made me happy to hear.

Thanks for the shout out. It’s a good one for breading. I also like to mix them with powdered parm depending on what I am cooking. Often in order for a good coating I’ll do egg wash, almond flour, egg wash, rinds or rinds blend.
I've been wondering about that almond flour.

Personally I would go with pork butt, BUT, done a different way.

I'm talking about "Boneless Ribs" via the pork butt!
View attachment 657701
View attachment 657702

You can read up on all the details in this post:

In short, I just debone a pork butt, Then roll/butterfly it out until it's about flat, and cut 3 flat "slabs" or so.

I then smoke those flat slabs like ribs and honestly, they come out better tasting than ribs to me!

I don't add any sugar of any kind, just Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika.

I also don't mop/sauce the ribs at all.

At the table BBQ sauce gets added by anyone to the meat they put on their plate should they want some sweet flavor or whatever sauce flavor they want to add.

This is simple and comes out amazing. I recommend this as an option based on what you have posted.

Why this over pork belly?
I find I like the pork belly to geat a little seared or a little crispy which only happens with high enough heat. My smoker doesn't run that hot so I would rather grill or oven roast pork belly vs doing these "boneless ribs".

I hope this info helps :)
I bought a boneless pork shoulder (butt) but I haven't decided precisely how I am going to cook it, yet. I love it smoke roasted but then there is that rotisserie I have...

I bought a boneless pork shoulder (butt) but I haven't decided precisely how I am going to cook it, yet. I love it smoke roasted but then there is that rotisserie I have...
Congrats on the good A1C results :D

Beautiful thing about a pork but, it's so flexible.

If you decide to turn it into some flat slabs cook it just like ribs. Whether you smoke, rotisserie, or put in the oven, those slabs should come out amazing! :)

Reactions: Retired Spook
Congrats on the good A1C results :D

Beautiful thing about a pork but, it's so flexible.

If you decide to turn it into some flat slabs cook it just like ribs. Whether you smoke, rotisserie, or put in the oven, those slabs should come out amazing! :)
Thank you sir! I sure was glad to hear her say "five point six."

I love the country rib idea - always loved country ribs. Usually I stick to my goto SPOG and organic dark brown sugar rub, but add some cayenne pepper, and half roast half smoke (what I call smoke roasting) them and then I eat WAY too much of it!

I hear you on the pulled pork - I was always wondering what everyone raved about when my attempts always tasted bland to me and needed lots of sauce. Then I found an Eastern Carolina vinegar sauce recipe and it completely changed my view on pulled pork. I like to dry brine overnight, coat the butt with olive oil and dust it up thoroughly with Meathead’s Memphis Dust. I also mix up the vinegar mop sauce the day before so that the flavors meld together. Cook at 300°, mopping every hour or so, until the blade bone can be removed cleanly. The vinegar mop sauce contains red pepper flakes which actually add a nice spice level. Any remaining mop sauce gets poured over the pulled pork. Very different from thick, sweet and sticky sauces. Bonus - cook fat cap down and you get a nice helping of cracklins that you can mix into the pulled pork to add additional texture with the bark.

I can relate if you go in a different direction, but I’m glad I didn’t give up on pulled pork. It’s one of my favorites cooks now.

I will just throw this out for you. Pork Belly Tacos With Ancho Chili's Roasted Pineapple and Avocado. I have made this twice now and it's positively off the hook. And it's something a little different than the normal BBQ fare. There's a little sugar involved but you could probably work around it.

I've been wondering about that almond flour.
Used it tonight to dredge the air fried chicken wings along with some baking powder and spices. It was almost like a breaded wing, very good and even better when I tossed them in some G.hughes S/F sweet chili wing sauce.

Good news on the A1C, mine was 6.9 last time, need to lower that.

Used it tonight to dredge the air fried chicken wings along with some baking powder and spices. It was almost like a breaded wing, very good and even better when I tossed them in some G.hughes S/F sweet chili wing sauce.

Good news on the A1C, mine was 6.9 last time, need to lower that.
6.9 is good ju-ju! Doc told me that anything under 7 is "mooey bwayno!" 😎 I could see on her face that she was actually a little worried about my 5.6 - she lowered my daily insulin dose.

I am going to try that almond flour and the ground up pork rinds.

6.9 is good ju-ju! Doc told me that anything under 7 is "mooey bwayno!" 😎 I could see on her face that she was actually a little worried about my 5.6 - she lowered my daily insulin dose.

I am going to try that almond flour and the ground up pork rinds.
I am on oral meds so I just have too worry about swinging high and not the lows you have to watch out for.

Reactions: Retired Spook
You can always smoke a Butt for slicing instead of pulling.
My youngest son isn't a fan of pulled pork either, but he loves it when it's cooked to about 170° and sliced.
kqdC6aK.jpg

You can also take it to 145°-150° then slice and reverse sear like a steak, makes freaking awesome sammies on a butter toasted hoagie bun.

Maybe smoke the belly , slice when tender and crisp the slices on grill or air fryer? For the butt perhaps brine it in Pops brine to do some buckboard bacon? For BBQ sauces I highly recommend you check out the G Hughes sugar free BBQ sauces. It’s all I use and guests never know the difference. For your rubs you can replace the brown sugar with either Brown Swerve or Golden Lakanto. The Swerve is closest. None of these will impact your blood sugar negatively. This link is maybe one of my favorite pork belly uses ever https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/jamaican-feast-2022.316971/
:emoji_heart_eyes: for linking again to that awesome meal!

Reactions: jcam222
This morning I juiced up the pork butt with Tony Cachere's roasted garlic and herb injection - it sure smells like garlic! :emoji_astonished: Very thick injection juice so I am sure it is on the sugary side.

It is in a ZipLoc and will soak in the fridge until tomorrow. Probably hot smoke/roast it with hickory to 150/155 degrees and see how it tastes. I haven't decided on what to use for a rub - certainly does not need any more garlic or salt...

Man it smells like garlic - I feel like I am in a Korean BBQ joint...

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky