Trying smoked boneless pork butt for 2nd time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newbutgood

Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
So, I have only been smoking meat for about 2 years now and ive only done a pork butt once. In the morning I'm trying again and I'm a little nervous and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. The first time it came out more like a roast than pulled pork it sliced good for sandwitches but didnt pull apart so im not sure what I did wrong then and what I could do now to succeed this time. Oh and its boneless cant seem to get bone in. I do have it trimmed and tide and I know my smoker and how to regulate it but just couldnt seem to do it right the first time. Thoughts? Maybe didnt cook it long enough or didnt get it to right temp or something else I dont know. I was almost certain internal temp got to 195 and it had cooked about 7 hours and I wrapped it when it got to 160 but again just didnt pull apart.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello NBG,
I’m betting this one turns out great. Wrapping at 160 to 170 degrees is good. Once wrapped just cook it until it is very tender when you check it with a temp probe, skewer or something like that. It needs to feel very tender regardless of the internal temperature.
Once it feels very tender remove from the smoker and open the foil for a few minutes to release some of the heat.
Re-wrap and place in a small cooler for at least 1 to 2 hours before pulling.
Should pull apart easily.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Johnny Ray

Reactions: Newbutgood
As Johnny Ray said go by probe tenderness not so much by temp. Start probing around 195-200 it should go through like butter when it's ready. I never noticed a difference between bone in or boneless so you should be good to go. Some butts are ready at 200 some 205 everyone is a little different.

same as ^^ the first one sounds like it wasnt done enough. I have also done both without issue. I also dont wrap mine...but that just preference.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it and hope this goes well and I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

I don't wrap and I don't give it much thought at all till it gets to around 195F. Then I'll probe it for tenderness. As mentioned a probe should go in with no resistance at all. My last cook was two butts of equal weight but one was ready at about 200F and the other at about 205F. They are all different.

I've done quite a few boneless butts.I don't wrap because I just don't feel like dealing with it twice,I wrap when its done and into the cooler it goes.I've had some of the smallest ones take 16 hours...like Braz said they're all different they're done when they're done.Temp is just a guide its probe tender that counts,

Sounds to me like your first one was a little under done.Just let it do its time in the smoker and I bet this one will come out just fine.

Try not trimming too much fat makes for good juice. I Started wrapping mine at 160 and depending on if your in a time crunch. I’ve bumped the heat up to 275 at that point. Once it hits 203* and it’s wrapped in foil. Then wrap it in some old towels and throw it in a cooler for atleast a couple hours if you can. It will let all the fat juice ass flavor and be very tender and juicy. I started wrapping bc my family doesn’t like the crispy bark. But when you wrap you still get some and don’t have to worry about pulling it apart. Good luck

As said above, it wasn’t cooked long enough. It doesn’t matter whether you wrap it or don’t, personally I don’t cause we like the thick bark mixed in with the PP. I usually look for an IT around 203-205, then the bone will just slide out. Since yours is boneless then you have to rely on the probe test. Using a wooden skewer just put it into the butt at various places until it goes in like you were probing room temp butter.
Then get some good insulated gloves & pull it apart by hand, that way you get some big pieces, not some shredded mush. And you can pick out the pieces of fat that didn’t render. I hate it when I take a bite & it’s a big chunk of fat. But that’s me & that’s my method. But if you can get a bone in butt, that’s the way to go, much more juicy & easier to cook. Good luck on the next one!
Al

So the only concern right now is what do I do if its reaching an IT quickley when cooking temp stays pretty steady around 235-240?

So your saying you think it’s cooking to fast? If you’re sure of the pit temp I wouldn’t worry. I’ve had some that seemed like they were cooking way to fast till they hit the stall and stayed there what seemed like forever.

The down side is my smoker is cheap and not really any good so I have to really work it to keep it regulated but yeah I keep it between 220 and 240 every once in awhile it'll drop to about 195 but because I end up leaving it alone a little too long but put more wood on get some flames going a little bit and in just minutes its back to temp.

How quick are we talking?
Well it did start slowing down its at 130 in 4 hrs so I dont think its too bad it came out of fridge I didnt get up in time to get it to room temp but what had concerned me was it went from about 52 to 110 in about two hours

I might just be going crazy it just seemed fast.
It’s been a while since I’ve did a pork butt, did so many for a while that I got sick of eating it. I’d say 130 at the 4 hour mark is okay. I’ve have some that I thought were screaming along till they hit the stall, some in the 155 degree range some as high as the 170’s. I think you’re probably good IMO. Keep us posted though!

The down side is my smoker is cheap and not really any good so I have to really work it to keep it regulated but yeah I keep it between 220 and 240 every once in awhile it'll drop to about 195 but because I end up leaving it alone a little too long but put more wood on get some flames going a little bit and in just minutes its back to temp.
Another thing I’m wondering, how are you monitoring your smoker temp? Are you using a built in probe like a dome thermometer? And also what kind of smoker?

Its a two piece bought seperatly at lowes and I'm using the ambient probe by maverick. So yeah its really cheap. I want to do better cause I know it'll produce better quality but its all I can afford.

Its a two piece bought seperatly at lowes and I'm using the ambient probe by maverick. So yeah its really cheap. I want to do better cause I know it'll produce better quality but its all I can afford.

Attachments

• 1596999054037463339937399178710.jpg
    1596999054037463339937399178710.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Smkryng
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky