Trying smoked boneless pork butt for 2nd time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Charbroil has a grill that has a side attatchment for a fore box which is a portable grill turned to fire box.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the maverick, I’ve don’t think I’ve heard anything bad about them at all. Just wanting to make sure you weren’t going by a dome thermometer cause those things can be off by a lot. I’d say your all good. As far as being cheap, not a thing wrong with that. I don’t care if a person is cooking in a homemade smoker made from an old file cabinet as long as they’re happy with the food they are making. First thing I ever smoked was a pork loin on a garage sale rusted out bbq grill and man was it a lot of work! As long as your set up works for you I say smoke on!

I would just love to not have to manage it as much in going out every like 30 minutes or so adjusting for too high or too low of a fire. It doesnt hold heat very well at all. And yes my dome thermometer is of by about 15 degress.

Doing good so far I think though IT is at about 147 after just under 6 hours and its a 7 pound butt so I dont think its doing to bad on time so far.

I would just love to not have to manage it as much in going out every like 30 minutes or so adjusting for too high or too low of a fire. It doesnt hold heat very well at all. And yes my dome thermometer is of by about 15 degress.
Doing good so far I think though IT is at about 147 after just under 6 hours and its a 7 pound butt so I dont think its doing to bad on time so far.
I feel ya on that. The first smoker I got was a charcoal brinkman, the upright bullet looking thing, I spent more time with that thing while i was using it than I did my family lol.
Sounds like you’re on the right track with this pork butt. Take the advice of others above on probe tender and you should be good. Don’t forget to take some pics and let us know how it turned out!

I feel ya on that. The first smoker I got was a charcoal brinkman, the upright bullet looking thing, I spent more time with that thing while i was using it than I did my family lol.
Sounds like you’re on the right track with this pork butt. Take the advice of others above on probe tender and you should be good. Don’t forget to take some pics and let us know how it turned out!
I'm at just under 8 hours got to 160 wrapped it in double layer foil and await the moment to wrap it in a towel and into the cooler itll go. It has a really nice bark on it. Smells amazing.

Oh and one thing I did fail to mention is I did marinate it for about 6 hours in the fridge and did do a injection let me tell ya the juices that rendered from this thing are fenominal.

Also know that once it’s wrapped in foil it’s perfectly fine to finish it off in the oven. A lot less work and same results.

JR
Yeah but with summer being as hot as it is and my ac working a little hard right now anyway I figured best to just finish like I am. Im at 180 IT and fire is doing great so no problems.

Reactions: Johnny Ray
sounds like your doing good, wouldn't worry about high spikes in heat to much with butts they can handle it, maybe consider getting a welding blanket or something to cover your smoke chamber might help to maintain a steadier heat. but a 20 degree swing is nothing. also ya don't need expensive equipment to make some great food!

Reactions: Smkryng
That I have learned. You just feel a little more proud of the outcome with how much more work you put into trying to maintain a good temp for so long.

My wife absolutely loves when I smoke meat. Its not bad I have definitely had better. But I will say ive learned a good bit from trial and error but most of it came from watching dad do it so much.

Maybe next time I'll do it ealier in the morning when not so hot outside.

After 11 hours of smoking and 2 hours of resting this is what I got

Attachments

• 15970282360858884172973378257877.jpg
    15970282360858884172973378257877.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky