True Peameal Bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
<p>Cowgirl,,,  Ya that's it !!

<p>I found this recipe but I'm not sure what Modern cure is?

<p>http://www.bbqtalk.ca/PeamealBacon.htm
Hmmm, Thanks Mike,

I take it back--I was right.

According to your link, It can be brine cured & injected, or dry cured. Then after curing the loins are coated, sliced & fried, instead of smoking.

That is what I said in post #4.

Quote from that link:

The meat is then cured in a brine solution or by dry rub. After curing the loins are coated with yellow cornmeal, sliced and fried.

Bear

Thanks to Cowgirl, I now have a few loins brining away. In a week or so I'll have some tasty peameal bacon.

Looking forward to the outcome. Thanks and good luck!
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

True Pea meal bacon is an injection cured meat but not smoked like Canadian bacon, then covered in peameal.
actualy it is the original canadian bacon, brined but not smoked and since it is not smoked they rolled it in pea meal to help prevent bacteria and spoilage as it aged. 

my great grampa and  grandpa used to make this all the time.  I don't know why they call it bacon because it is realy ham, but oh well. 

Steve

actualy it is the original canadian bacon, brined but not smoked and since it is not smoked they rolled it in pea meal to help prevent bacteria and spoilage as it aged. 

my great grampa and  grandpa used to make this all the time.  I don't know why they call it bacon because it is realy ham, but oh well. 

Steve
It isn't really ham. Ham is from the hind leg of a pig.

Here's a fairly good explanation on Wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Thanks Jeanie, I'll probably be pulling them from the brine tomorrow evening.  I'm going to coat one with ground yellow peas & one with corn meal just to see what if any difference there is.

Great!! Can't wait to see how that goes.... 
cool.gif
 :)

Here they are out of the brine, and 2 rolled in pea meal. I didn't get pics of the two rolled in corn meal. What I did notice is that the corn meal is a brighter yellow than the pea
60b56b40_S3000014.jpg
 meal.
88618efe_S3000013.jpg

Wow..They look excellent!  I need to make some more now lol

Thanks so much for letting me know .. I will definately give the pea meal a try too.
Looks-Great.gif

Thanks Jeanie.

I screwed up, and stuck the stuff in the freezer rather than the fridge. I pulled 'em out today and put them in the fridge to thaw. I'll make sure to take some pics before & after slicing.

As for the pea meal, I just bought some dried yellow peas and ran them through my spice grinder to make a coarse meal.

Hi Mike, thanks.

Really, there isn't much to the process. I just followed Jeanie's recipe. Basically, brine the loin( I didn't inject, so I gave it a few more days in the brine), take it out of the brine, wipe it dry, and roll in meal. 

They look great!

I hope you post a step by step on the process.  I got a loin in the freezer and it's next on my list after I get my beacon done.

Hi Mike, thanks.

Really, there isn't much to the process. I just followed Jeanie's recipe. Basically, brine the loin( I didn't inject, so I gave it a few more days in the brine), take it out of the brine, wipe it dry, and roll in meal. 

I used to take my two boy's up to Rice Lake in Ontario fishing. First order of business when we got there was to stop and get some peameal bacon.Second order was to fry up and eat all the peameal bacon. Third order was to go buy more.LOL

I gotta get on this one as my boy's have been hounding me about it.

I know how you feel. My son is just inhaling the stuff. 

I used to take my two boy's up to Rice Lake in Ontario fishing. First order of business when we got there was to stop and get some peameal bacon.Second order was to fry up and eat all the peameal bacon. Third order was to go buy more.LOL

I gotta get on this one as my boy's have been hounding me about it.

Thanks Jeanie.

I screwed up, and stuck the stuff in the freezer rather than the fridge. I pulled 'em out today and put them in the fridge to thaw. I'll make sure to take some pics before & after slicing.

As for the pea meal, I just bought some dried yellow peas and ran them through my spice grinder to make a coarse meal.

Thanks for the info...I will do that next time. Looks great!
thumb1.gif

Cowgirl if your still around I would sure like to have that recipe.  I'm trying one I got off the internet today, but won't know anything for a week or so on how it turns out.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky