Trout---Sneaky Pennsylvania Fish Commission

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
He's lucky.
Washington state has closed all hunting and fishing for duration.
As well as schools for the rest of the school year.
Boy, I guess it depends on how "managed" the game and fish in Washington truly is, but that could have some negative effect. Our wildlife management plan takes into account winter kill and predator kill but more importantly the hunter kill. If too few animals are harvested they can become overpopulated.

Our wildlife management plan takes into account winter kill and predator kill but more importantly the hunter kill. If too few animals are harvested they can become overpopulated.
I would think most are the same , and if they don't get the numbers where they like them , they open a bonus season . So maybe we will see some added seasons when this is passed us .

I would think most are the same , and if they don't get the numbers where they like them , they open a bonus season . So maybe we will see some added seasons when this is passed us .
Additional tags are also an option. We do that, usually for Pronghorn Antelope, and generally doe/fawn tags.

looks like he had a nice day, that was a little sneaky by the fish comm. at least he wasn't shoulder to shoulder.

Yeah, They were pretty nice for "PA Stockies".
Nothing like the 30" monsters he caught in NY, but they'll do for some fun, with his Flyrod.

Bear

Our season isn't until the last Saturday of April. I envy your son having a good time. My wife and I love trout fishing! A couple of those would make a fine meal. I too like to release. My biggest release was an eight pound bow on the Beaver River near Georgian Bay.

Our season isn't until the last Saturday of April. I envy your son having a good time. My wife and I love trout fishing! A couple of those would make a fine meal. I too like to release. My biggest release was an eight pound bow on the Beaver River near Georgian Bay.

These are the biggest ones Bear Jr ever caught:
I believe the Buck he's holding was 31" long, and the Roe laying on the ground was 29 1/2" long. Caught in Salmon River, New York, about 10 years ago.

Bear

30upxma.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Ben58 and wbf610
He and one of the guys who works for him were fishing right across the street (Water St) from his New Tower Shop, in the Perkiomen Creek. They went in separate trucks to stay apart. When they got there, there was one other guy fishing there, and when they left, there was two other guys there.

Bear
Well it wasn’t me. Wrong creek.
Those brown pics are nice. Love to hook into one of them.

Well it wasn’t me. Wrong creek.
Those brown pics are nice. Love to hook into one of them.

Yup, That year he went up to Pulaski, NY and caught a mess of Salmon on a spawning run.
Then he went up again about a month later when those Brownies run up the same river to eat the eggs the Salmon laid. Then he caught 5 of those Brownies. Those were the 2 biggest.

Bear

Reactions: wbf610
looks like he had a nice day, that was a little sneaky by the fish comm. at least he wasn't shoulder to shoulder.

Yup---I can remember first days of Trout season, where it was so crowded the first hour or 2 the worms in the can on my belt were suffocating!!
And the guy next to me I swear was trying to put his left foot in my right boot!!!

Bear Jr said it was like having the whole Perk' to himself!!

Even in the old days when it opened at 5 AM instead of 8 AM. We used to camp out all night on the banks---Only a couple of fires could be seen until Midnight. Then they started coming in.
About a dozen fires by 2 AM. Then about 4 AM, Standing room only. 5 AM it was Nuts!!!

So we started going to the mountains every year "Saw Creek" Pike County.
That got crowded too, so we started going to "The Little Equinunk", Wayne County.
Even that started crowding up, before my Dad died & I quit.

Then a few years ago I started fishing around here, @ the Swabia, but never the first few hours of the first day!!!

Bear

Yup---I can remember first days of Trout season, where it was so crowded the first hour or 2 the worms in the can on my belt were suffocating!!
And the guy next to me I swear was trying to put his left foot in my right boot!!!

Bear Jr said it was like having the whole Perk' to himself!!

Even in the old days when it opened at 5 AM instead of 8 AM. We used to camp out all night on the banks---Only a couple of fires could be seen until Midnight. Then they started coming in.
About a dozen fires by 2 AM. Then about 4 AM, Standing room only. 5 AM it was Nuts!!!

So we started going to the mountains every year "Saw Creek" Pike County.
That got crowded too, so we started going to "The Little Equinunk", Wayne County.
Even that started crowding up, before my Dad died & I quit.

Then a few years ago I started fishing around here, @ the Swabia, but never the first few hours of the first day!!!

Bear
yeah that's probably why I never really got into trout fishing, I used to fish the Lackawanna river now and then because you would never get the crowds there, when my buddy had his boat I used to go to lake Ontario with him for lake trout and salmon, other then that I always fished for bass and bluegill, I usually go deer hunting up near equinunk. it's amazing it gets crowded up there it's just so out of the way.

Man, those are a couple beauties. Where we generally fish, it's browns, but not nearly that big.

Yup, That year he went up to Pulaski, NY and caught a mess of Salmon on a spawning run.
Then he went up again about a month later when those Brownies run up the same river to eat the eggs the Salmon laid. Then he caught 5 of those Brownies. Those were the 2 biggest.

Bear
I go up there 2-3 times a year. Good times.

yeah that's probably why I never really got into trout fishing, I used to fish the Lackawanna river now and then because you would never get the crowds there, when my buddy had his boat I used to go to lake Ontario with him for lake trout and salmon, other then that I always fished for bass and bluegill, I usually go deer hunting up near equinunk. it's amazing it gets crowded up there it's just so out of the way.

Yeah---First morning even the Equinunk was Nuts with crowds. Not bad in afternoon & the rest of the season.
The locals knew how to fix that. They'd stock the Equinunk the day before opening day. Then the Trout would go into shock & not eat for 3 days. Then the Crowd would go home, and the locals would catch the Trout themselves, after 3 days. Pretty Smart !!

Bear

He's got some nice ones there . I'm all catch and release myself . Something " normal " to step away from the headlines for a bit .

A lot of the time Bear Jr fishes in the Fly Fishing Only Section of the Lehigh.
There it's all Catch & release, but the Trout are a lot bigger.

Bear

The locals knew how to fix that. They'd stock the Equinunk the day before opening day. Then the Trout would go into shock & not eat for 3 days. Then the Crowd would go home, and the locals would catch the Trout themselves, after 3 days. Pretty Smart !!
and a politician said recently farmers aren't smart people! :emoji_laughing:

Nice catch and a great time doing so. catch and release is fun. We don't have trout where I live.

Warren

No Trout in MD ??
Must be why I used to run into MD fisherman in Northern PA, during Trout season.
I used to think, "Man, that's a long trip just for a couple small Stocked Trout".
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks like a great day in the life of a fisherman.

I applaud your son's practice of catch and release. Thats what I do too. It's been 12 years or so since I've kept a speckled trout, (Different kind of trout, of coarse, salt water version of a trout).

This one caught from my Hobie Outback. I do all I can to keep from touching the fish. De-hook while in the net and release by lowering the net into the water.

20191025_082924.jpg

No trout season here in Colorado. It’s always fishing open. This year though I have read that Colorado Parks and Wildlife will write you a ticket for fishing while the Governor has us in lock down. Enjoy your trout. Nice haul.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky