Elk in PA (Bear Visit)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Elk in PA (Bear Visit)

I just got the picture of the 2 Bull Elk last night, and had to show you guys right away.

My Buddy “Barry” called me to ask for help texting Pics with his new phone. LOL I don’t have one of those new fangled phones, My phone has a Land-Line. So I gave the phone to Mrs Bear, and she talked him through the process, so he could send us the neat Picture he took of the 2 Bull Elk. They are in the field next to the “Welcome to Coudersport” sign, near the Coudersport Hospital.

I worked with Barry for 20 years. He got his pension, and now he drives people to tests, like Dialysis & such. So he gets to see all the wildlife in upstate PA, while behind the wheel. His first thought, he said, when he took the picture was “Wait till Big John sees this Pic!!! He’ll love it.”

Enjoy,
Bear

Zoom in to get a better picture of the 2 Elk.
0.jpeg

BTW: “Barry” is the guy who cut his own trees down, and built his own Log Cabin in Potter County, PA, right near Coudersport, PA.

Below is a Link to my old story (in my Step by Step Index) & Pics of Barry, his Log House, and his assortment of Bear Families at his house in Potter County, PA:

Party Time:
PICT0135-1.jpg

Quadruplets !!!
PICT0076.jpg

Link to get to Barry's Log Cabin & Bears:
Pennsylvania Black Bears & Cabin

Attachments

• PICT0135.jpg
    PICT0135.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
awesome pictures of the elk and the bears!! that is one beautiful log house! thanks for sharing these!

Awesome post! Im from OHIO and and would love a chance at PA's Elk herd! Ill just keep applying!

Awesome pics John. I love elk meat. Tennessee reestablished a herd in 2000 and by 2009 we have "enough" to hunt. They approve 11-15 permits a year at $10-$13k per person. I've seen a tone of elk and moose in the wilds of Alaska though. Beautiful creatures. I have a video of a giant caribou that I recorded at Denali I wish I could post. Was gigantic

Reactions: indaswamp
I have to say, I'm very partial to having the company of elk on a constant basis.....if my right ear had a camera this is what it would capture as I work in the office..... Its really a baby for most standards, but was really old with gray hair....260 class 6x6
elk.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
Elk in PA (Bear Visit)

I just got the picture of the 2 Bull Elk last night, and had to show you guys right away.

My Buddy “Barry” called me to ask for help texting Pics with his new phone. LOL I don’t have one of those new fangled phones, My phone has a Land-Line. So I gave the phone to Mrs Bear, and she talked him through the process, so he could send us the neat Picture he took of the 2 Bull Elk. They are in the field next to the “Welcome to Coudersport” sign, near the Coudersport Hospital.

I worked with Barry for 20 years. He got his pension, and now he drives people to tests, like Dialysis & such. So he gets to see all the wildlife in upstate PA, while behind the wheel. His first thought, he said, when he took the picture was “Wait till Big John sees this Pic!!! He’ll love it.”

Enjoy,
Bear

Zoom in to get a better picture of the 2 Elk.
View attachment 643624

BTW: “Barry” is the guy who cut his own trees down, and built his own Log Cabin in Potter County, PA, right near Coudersport, PA.

Below is a Link to my old story (in my Step by Step Index) & Pics of Barry, his Log House, and his assortment of Bear Families at his house in Potter County, PA:

Party Time:
View attachment 643625

Quadruplets !!!
View attachment 643628

Link to get to Barry's Log Cabin & Bears:
Pennsylvania Black Bears & Cabin
Great pics!
I love seeing all the wild life out there and I don't often get to see Elk. I've never seen bear of any kind in the wild, they dont exist in my state.

Pre pandemic I was on a good streak of hunting 9 years straight. Getting back to it here in October and seeing all the wildlife get's me excited for what I'll see here in a few weeks.

Great pics! :D

awesome pictures of the elk and the bears!! that is one beautiful log house! thanks for sharing these!
Thank You tbern!!
I designed that "Purlin" roof for him, so he could make cuts with his chainsaw & snap it together.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
Awesome elk pics.! The mama bear with the cubs would scare the bejeezus out of me. So unpredictable when mama has cubs!!
Thank You Inda!!
Yup, they are scary to most of us..
Barry's been around them for 50 years, and works with them with a PA Forest Ranger. He helps trap them & treat them. He knows how to show respect for them.
That Mama with the Quads had her Paws Full !!

Bear

Bear, Beautiful country and animals. I used to drive through Coudersport on the way to our deer camp in Austin, Pa.. Fun times and great memories.

I have to say, I'm very partial to having the company of elk on a constant basis.....if my right ear had a camera this is what it would capture as I work in the office..... Its really a baby for most standards, but was really old with gray hair....260 class 6x6
View attachment 643676
That would fit real nice in my Living Room, with the Zoo we have here.
However yours looks Great.right where it is!

Bear

Reactions: civilsmoker
Awesome pics John. I love elk meat. Tennessee reestablished a herd in 2000 and by 2009 we have "enough" to hunt. They approve 11-15 permits a year at $10-$13k per person. I've seen a tone of elk and moose in the wilds of Alaska though. Beautiful creatures. I have a video of a giant caribou that I recorded at Denali I wish I could post. Was gigantic
Thank You Jake!
Our herd is currently at 1400 Elk, and 22/23 gets 178 permits.
I love Elk meat, but I only ever had it twice. (Long time ago) Once from Montana & once from Colorado. (from a BIL)

Bear

Nice pics bear
Thank You Jim!!
And for the Like, too.

Bear

Great pics!
I love seeing all the wild life out there and I don't often get to see Elk. I've never seen bear of any kind in the wild, they dont exist in my state.

Pre pandemic I was on a good streak of hunting 9 years straight. Getting back to it here in October and seeing all the wildlife get's me excited for what I'll see here in a few weeks.

Great pics! :D

Thank You Tall !!
No Bears in Texas??? Wow!
Luck to you, this season!!

Bear

Nice I never knew they had Elk in Pa until a while ago.

Warren
Thank You Warren!!
Now you know to be careful, when you drive through PA so often.
Don't want to hit one of those Big Boys!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bear, Beautiful country and animals. I used to drive through Coudersport on the way to our deer camp in Austin, Pa.. Fun times and great memories.
Thank You CM !!
I think I may have mentioned before, Barry, the guy with all the Bears at his Cabin Home lives right there. His address is actually "Austin, PA".
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

The company I work for does work in Renovo, Wharton, and couldersport I always enjoyed driving to the job sites and spot some nice elk!! Amazing that we have such animals that haven’t made their way down to williamsport yet!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky