Trout---Sneaky Pennsylvania Fish Commission

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like a great day in the life of a fisherman.

I applaud your son's practice of catch and release. Thats what I do too. It's been 12 years or so since I've kept a speckled trout, (Different kind of trout, of coarse, salt water version of a trout).

This one caught from my Hobie Outback. I do all I can to keep from touching the fish. De-hook while in the net and release by lowering the net into the water.

Thank You Jack!!
When I used to fish, I usually used a net, however I believe most nets remove more of the protective Slime from a fish than a bare hand does.

Bear

I never trout fished until I moved out west, now I actually enjoy it.

Catch and release all the time as I do not care for salmonids taste.

I have only kept a few for a neighbor friend once or twice.

28 is a really good haul!

John

Great thread Bear!Love the pics!

RI more or less did the same thing.Fishing opened immediately.Valid fishing license,A-M on even days and N-Z on odd days and not all ponds stocked.I said ponds...we don't have lakes here in RI!

Saltwater wise the first schoolie stripers have showed and blackfish have started.I can't wait for bluefish to show in a few weeks and neither can the smoker.

Great thread Bear!Love the pics!

RI more or less did the same thing.Fishing opened immediately.Valid fishing license,A-M on even days and N-Z on odd days and not all ponds stocked.I said ponds...we don't have lakes here in RI!

Saltwater wise the first schoolie stripers have showed and blackfish have started.I can't wait for bluefish to show in a few weeks and neither can the smoker.

I only ever went Deep Sea Fishing twice---Once off Brielle, NJ, and once in Hawaii (Army).
Bear Jr used to go Sea Fishing a lot, until Sandy took his "Trophy Pro" from it's stall in North Jersey, and parked it in a Woods 2 miles faster south. (Rough Ride too)

Bear

Nice pics Bear! I'm going to get out this week or early next week. A local ODFW pond at the wildlife refuge has been upgraded with docks and walk ways. It was a mudhole before. The dog walked me out there (3/4 mile walk) a few weeks ago and they were close to being done. Ponds are open year round and this one gets stocked with trout thru June. You can see the truck over by the chute, they had just finished dumping a load. Plus there's plenty of sunfish, crappies and large mouth bass.

IMG_20200318_153951.jpg

IMG_20200318_154611.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics Bear! I'm going to get out this week or early next week. A local ODFW pond at the wildlife refuge has been upgraded with docks and walk ways. It was a mudhole before. The dog walked me out there (3/4 mile walk) a few weeks ago and they were close to being done. Ponds are open year round and this one gets stocked with trout thru June. You can see the truck over by the chute, they had just finished dumping a load. Plus there's plenty of sunfish, crappies and large mouth bass.

View attachment 440283

View attachment 440284

Nice Ponds you got there, in Oregon!!!
I've always fished Streams for Trout.
However Pennsylvania has nearly 16,000 miles of wild trout streams, nearly 5,000 miles of stocked trout streams and over 125 stocked trout lakes.

Bear

Reactions: Ben58
Nice Ponds you got there, in Oregon!!!
I've always fished Streams for Trout.
However Pennsylvania has nearly 16,000 miles of wild trout streams, nearly 5,000 miles of stocked trout streams and over 125 stocked trout lakes.

Bear
I never have fished a pond myself but figure it might be a good way to get some for the pan and smoker. Streams don't open here until the 3rd week of May and in my zone its C and R only and in adjacent zones a 2 fish limit. Eastern Oregon theres no limit on brookies and browns but thats a ways to travel. Especially right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky