Trouble producing smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robb871

Original poster
May 30, 2016
I have a Masterbuilt Dual Fuel Smoker. I only use propane though. I've used it twice and I'm having a lot of trouble producing significant smoke. I'll start by saying I bought an 8" cast iron skillet and sit it directly on the weird burn pan thing as suggested in the mods.

First smoke I used Apple wood chips. I soaked them for the first round of chips and it just wouldn't smoke. I then put dry ones in and it did somewhat better.

Second smoke I used hickory chunks that I cut into pieces with my hatchet. It smoked quite a bit better but not what I had expected. The pork but had very little smoker flavor.

I've noticed that when the smoker gets up to the 250-275 degree range the smoke really starts pouring out. But I'm trying to cook at 220-240 for pork and it makes considerably less smoke. Also, if it matters, both bottom vents are closed and the top vent is open. And help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest opening at least one of those bottom vents, part way to start.  Try using the factory chip pan for low temp smokes.  No need to soak chips.  Try running your smoker empty for a while, fiddle with the vents, until you see the right amount of smoke coming out the top vent.  Let us know if this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky