Trimming Da Fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

porkbelly

Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
there's a lotta different views on this, me i like to leave it on but i will cut the fat cap off then rub it real well then rub the fat cap on the bottom and lay it back down on the butt...when done i just lift off the fat cap...or if you want smoke with it on then right before wrapping take it off and re-rub...and thoughts on this? 

Once I remove most of the fat cap, it's history. I haven't found any advantage by keeping it on the meat. Maybe somebody has, somewhere...

I have found 1/4 " is plenty. Butts have plenty internal fat .

My tiny pork butt I did the other day I left it on but smoked fat cap down this time. I usually smoke them fat on top and get the biggest I can find. This midget came out better than any I've done.
icon_question.gif
 I have no explanation for this.  

Not so much w/ spikes (but that too) It helps w/ keeping the temps steady on the butt . If you have a hot spot or a spike the fat catchs it so the meat doesn't .

If you want a nice smoke flavor (ring). Trim the fat. Smoke can't penetrate fat, sometimes I will trim, smoke 2-3hrs then place the fat cap on for the rest of the smoke! Some will say once meat gets to 140* it stops absorbing smoke! This is still up for debate!

i will score the cap but i prefer to leave it on..................

all comments make perfect sense but can a butt have to much fat? thats flavor and juices...kinda like saying to much bacon...JMO...never tried 1 fat cap down...thinking of injestion 1 tho...could be interesting....ty guys

icon_cool.gif

Now I would leave the fat cap in place for it will always keep the outside moist but it can also be remove before you pull it and slice it to.

icon_cool.gif

Now I would leave the fat cap in place for it will always keep the outside moist but it can also be remove before you pull it and slice it to.
i do remove it when i pull it.............there is this stringy section of meat in the fat cap that is so moist it melts in yer mouth. that part NEVER makes it to the pulled pile.

i do remove it when i pull it.............there is this stringy section of meat in the fat cap that is so moist it melts in yer mouth. that part NEVER makes it to the pulled pile.
I have no idea what you are talking about
icon_redface.gif

Just bought a butt at Winn-Dixie, got it home & found the fat cap had been removed. So I just put thick sliced bacon all over the top after putting the rub on. I was afraid to smoke it without any fat cap, and thought the bacon would protect the meat. Well it did & gave it another layer of flavor. Even chopped up a few pieces & put in the pulled pile.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky