Tried my hand at Bologna today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

killinbambi90

Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Ground up a nice mix of lean pork/beef at a 50/50 ratio. Added some AC Leggs Old Plantation seasoning as well as some cure #1. Ran a 10lb batch making a 8 lb log and 2 lbs of stix. Finished the log off in a water bath which was a first in a fibrous casing. I know a little water entered the casing, could this cause a "damp" texture to the meat? With a diameter 4.5" I was over cautious with the thermometer and pulled it once the IT read 169'F. Followed up with a ice bath and now it's chillin in the fridge. The stix turned out great and the bologna looks/feels just like store bought without all the junk inside!
24131133_10215004409403336_9211224314723531073_n.jpg

What....You don't like peckers and lips brand bologna? LOL! Looks really good man! Mmmm fried bologna,egg and cheese.

Ground up a nice mix of lean pork/beef at a 50/50 ratio. Added some AC Leggs Old Plantation seasoning as well as some cure #1. Ran a 10lb batch making a 8 lb log and 2 lbs of stix. Finished the log off in a water bath which was a first in a fibrous casing. I know a little water entered the casing, could this cause a "damp" texture to the meat? With a diameter 4.5" I was over cautious with the thermometer and pulled it once the IT read 169'F. Followed up with a ice bath and now it's chillin in the fridge. The stix turned out great and the bologna looks/feels just like store bought without all the junk inside!View attachment 346157
That looks great! I have a question for you, I’ve been making summer sausage and the casing keeps sticking. Do you have any suggestions?

That looks great! I have a question for you, I’ve been making summer sausage and the casing keeps sticking. Do you have any suggestions?

Are you using collagen or fibrous? Is the casing stickin to the wrinkles in the casing or to the meat?

Was pleased how well it turned out, first time using a water bath to finish as well as bologna seasoning in general. Between the smoker catching fire and the thermometer actin up, I was happy to say the least.

Hahah, accidental overload of wood chips in the mes.. when I opened the door a rush of oxygen entered and whooosh.... got it out though... ordered up a 5x8 amazn smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky