Trial run vortex chicken wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye02

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 26, 2020
Ohio
Bought the Vortex for the kettle. Had seen lots of chicken being cooked with it. Worked like a charm! Nice and crispy chicken wings. Didn't have a thermometer on the grate but the one on the lid was pegged at 600°. Had a chunk of hickory and cherry on for some smoke. Idk how I had gone this long without a kettle. By far my favorite thing I have to cook on. So much so I bought a 26"!

Attachments

• 20210410_173851.jpg
    20210410_173851.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210410_171434.jpg
    20210410_171434.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 45
I ran some wings on my Kettle the other day with a vortex. They were totally amazing. Of course I had to use my gloves to take the lid off. The handle was too hot to touch bare handed.
Jim

I also did some wings this weekend using the Vortex - that a combination that just can't be beat. I kinda ticked the wife off some. Since I used a hotter rub on the wings. She doesn't like heat, but she somehow suffered her way through about 8 whole wings. Your wings look great

Point for sure
Chris

I ran some wings on my Kettle the other day with a vortex. They were totally amazing. Of course I had to use my gloves to take the lid off. The handle was too hot to touch bare handed.
Jim
I didnt notice that being a problem last night I guess I got lucky!

Reactions: JLeonard
I also did some wings this weekend using the Vortex - that a combination that just can't be beat. I kinda ticked the wife off some. Since I used a hotter rub on the wings. She doesn't like heat, but she somehow suffered her way through about 8 whole wings. Your wings look great

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you! I'm throwing some drums and thighs on this afternoon. Might use the SNS for that though. That'd howni cooked them last time and they were great

I didnt notice that being a problem last night I guess I got lucky!

The 26" has the clam shell on the lid handle. It acts like a heat sink. The 22"(at least mine) doesn't have the clam shell, and my handle gets extremely hot also. After I dropped the lid on the ground once or twice. My gloves are the first thing I grab.

Chris

Your wings look great, the Vortex is a real game changer. I find I'm doing legs more then wings lately. I do 5-6 for just myself and don't even have tp rotate the lid, just pack them tight together. RAY

Those Wings look Great, TGrim!!
I'm not big on Wings due to the high price for Skin & Bones.
I prefer Thighs & Drums, but your Wings Look Real Good!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
Those Wings look Great, TGrim!!
I'm not big on Wings due to the high price for Skin & Bones.
I prefer Thighs & Drums, but your Wings Look Real Good!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Yea I'm the same way. This was only the 2nd time I've messed with wings. But seen them next to the drums when I was grabbing some thighs and drums so grabbed a small thing of them for the heck of it. I much prefer thighs myself

Reactions: Bearcarver
The 26" has the clam shell on the lid handle. It acts like a heat sink. The 22"(at least mine) doesn't have the clam shell, and my handle gets extremely hot also. After I dropped the lid on the ground once or twice. My gloves are the first thing I grab.

Chris
Lol. Both of mine have that heat shield on the lid. Sounds like I'm glad they do lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky