1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tri-tip

Discussion in 'Beef' started by Jerry Lemmens, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:05 PM.

1. Jerry Lemmens

Jerry Lemmens Newbie

Finally got my password reset I guess I'm a newbie again anyway made a tri tip yesterday,it was to die for, first decent smoke of beef on my Camp Chef woodwind question is what's the next cheaper meat that's kind of like a tri-tip roast I paid 9 bucks a pound thought that was kind of steep sure was tasty though thanks for any replies and suggestions see if this message thing works

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

$9 a lb is high for tri tip. You could do a Chuck roast or brisket. Both should be far cheaper than the tri tip you purchased.

3. Jerry Lemmens

Jerry Lemmens Newbie

Thanks much

4. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Wow. I can get tri tip on sale here for $3.99/lb. It is one of my go to's when I want something flavorful and quick.

I agree with Brian about the chuck roast. Comes out very tender.

5. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Glad it turned out well, but ouch that's expensive. Where do you live Jerry?

Chris

6. weev

weev Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Glad yours turned out good, Im getting one started for tonight.
    Here in the middle of Michigan they arent that easy to find either and the ones you do find are usually marinated and usually around 9 to 10$ a pound unless you order them by the case at Gordon food service. Briskets can be found for 2.99 to 4$ a pound but pork is usually the cheapest for us

7. oddegan

oddegan Smoking Fanatic

I'm in West Michigan and they typically cost $9 a pound. Any cut of beef is fairly expensive around here.

8. sandyut

sandyut Meat Mopper

in SLC the tri tips run to the higher side of whats been thrown out there and I can only find at my butcher - who is the best ever! One of may favorite cuts too!

9. h8that4u

h8that4u Smoke Blower

In the SLC area go to WinCo, last time I was there (about a month ago), I picked up 5 of them for $3.99/lb. I should be in Sandy UT in the next couple of weeks and will pick up more as they are hard to find here in Northern Colorado and if you do they are on sale at 5-7.99/lb.

10. Jerry Lemmens

Jerry Lemmens Newbie

Phoenix Arizona

11. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

We never get tri-tips around this area. Might not be the right place to ask but is a sirloin tip roast the same thing? Saw one on manager special yesterday and almost bought but wasn’t for sure. Can get brisket and chuck roast all day long but I see all these good tri tip cooks and would love to do one!

12. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Near as I can tell the sirloin tip is actually a beef round cut next to the sirloin. Another name for it is the round tip roast. Calling it a sirloin is probably a marketing ploy. A sirloin tip roast is MUCH leaner than a tri tip.

A tri tip is the very bottom of the bottom sirloin where it meets the round on the back side of the animal, and the short loin toward the front. If you drew a straight line at the bottom of the sirloin from the short loin to the round, the tri tip is below that line.

download.png

SmokinVOLfan likes this.
  13. PAS

PAS Smoke Blower

Where are these illustrated cattle from? That makes things so easy!

14. Jerry Lemmens

Jerry Lemmens Newbie

Thanks for all our responses guys, I think I have a beef chuck roast in the freezer maybe I'll give that one a try,the tri-tip was excellent but kind of pricey ,must have those hi falutin cows $$$$$ in Phoenix

15. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yea TT is expensive down here in Florida if you can find one.
    I can order them from Publix, but they are just too expensive, when I can get Choice brisket for $3.50- $3.90 per lb.
    Even Choice chuck roasts are only about $5 per lb.
    Al

16. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I use images in Google and search for "Cuts of beef." They come up.

17. As someone from Santa Maria that price for tri-tip hurts my soul.

18. xray

xray Smoking Fanatic

Tri tip is $13/lb by me. I actually bought one at that price just to try. It was delicious but I can’t justify spending that much.

I wish it was cheaper :emoji_disappointed:

19. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I think the GFS store in Cascade 28th street has whole TT 5 or 6 to a bag for under $4 a pound.

20. oddegan

oddegan Smoking Fanatic

They do but that's a bit of a drive. I'm more in the Muskegon area and the GFS there is awful. I need to check out the local butcher shop though. Might be surprised what I find.