Tri-tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice - my wife loves ground tri-tip for burgers - she says they are the best tasting burgers she has ever eaten. Currently priced at $3.08 at the local Cash and Carry, which is cheaper than the nasty ground meat we can get at the grocery stores.

Near as I can tell the sirloin tip is actually a beef round cut next to the sirloin. Another name for it is the round tip roast. Calling it a sirloin is probably a marketing ploy. A sirloin tip roast is MUCH leaner than a tri tip.

FWIW, Sirloin Tip comes off the round, it's also called Knuckle. It's the muscle immediately above the knee cap (and yes, very lean, not tender, and best used for Jerky). Tri Tip comes off the top of the Top Sirloin (part of the Drop Loin which also includes the NY Strip, Bavette, and Tenderloin), and is part of the "Sirloin Cap". The other half of the Sirloin Cap is the Culotte (aka the VERY popular "Picanha" in Brazil). Together they make up what are essentially the love handles of the steer. I can recommend some excellent cutting manuals if anyone is so inclined. For those asking confused butchers for Tri Tips, I highly recommend double checking that they don't give you Culotte, they are definitely not the same but often sold interchangeably outside of California (inadvertently).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky