Tri-Tip with Honey Bourbon Mushrooms

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
My wife saw this pre-marinated TT at Costco and grabbed one for me to smoke up for the weekend.
IMG_3282.JPG

In inspection, it's missing it's tail....
IMG_3283.JPG

I did trim a little fat off.

Getting the coal base started.
IMG_3276.JPG

The wind picked up!
IMG_3277.JPG

I really like getting the coal base started over the burner it just speeds things up and makes a nice fire in short order.
IMG_3281.JPG

Ok now that the meat is cozy on to the bourbon mushrooms. I did a quick sauce that has some diced onion & garlic in butter on med heat, after they are sweated i add 1/3 cup honey bourbon and the 2 cups beef stock, and some commercial Demi Glaze. With that simmering, I sear the mushroom quarters.

IMG_3286.JPG

I don't cook the shrooms all the way just sear them quick on high heat an then add them to sauce and de-glaze the pan with stock
IMG_3287.JPG

This yummy mixture is added to the sauce. And seasoned with salt pepper and worcestshire to add a bite to it. Thicken with a small amount of starch. I hold this at very low simmer.

Went to check on the smoker and it started raining!
IMG_3290.JPG

Now chopped bacon and green onion for the BP.
IMG_3291.JPG

And the perfect BP!
These are Idaho Golds that have been washed (stubbed really) lightly covered with classic light olive oil and sea salt. Cooked on the bare rack at 450 convection about 45min.
IMG_3292.JPG

Once the TT hit 120 on the coals for reverse sear. FYI, this is why I trim fat, I don't want a huge fat fire!
IMG_3294.JPG

Pulled at IT 135 and rested till 140 right where the fam likes it.
IMG_3296.JPG

Now the moment!
IMG_3297.JPG

Overall a very respectable pre-marinated TT. Will probably give the wife the ok to add it to the list.

IMG_3300.JPG

Last edited:
Very tasty looking meal.
That was a spendy TT:emoji_astonished:maybe because it's "Gluten Free"? :emoji_laughing:
Yea, what do you expect from Costco....TT goes for a pretty penny in this neck of the woods. The butcher cut is even more

Those mushrooms and that smoker look awesome! Not too shabby on the TT either!
just love shrooms! I usually like my meat mid rare but like TT a bit more. As an FYI I need to change my reverse sear technique a bit. I've discovered that the open coal sear only needs to flash it. So on my next ones I am going to leave the meat on to 10 deg and just flash it then rest it. That should resolve the "overdone" ring.....

Wow that TT looks awesome!
You did a good job on that smoker too!
Thanks twice, I love to build things and the forum has lots of info to glean from.

Awsome cook.
Thanks!

Great looking meal!
Nice looking rig too!
And congrats on getting a ride on the carousel!
Al

Very nice looking dish. I really like the mushrooms. I usually make mine with butter, Worcestershire and black pepper...but the honey bourbon sounds good.

Tri tip is $13/lb here. Wish I could get it cheaper, I’d add it to my grocery lost too.

Great looking meal!
Nice looking rig too!
And congrats on getting a ride on the carousel!
Al
Thanks SmokinAl!, I am definitely enjoying the "ride"! Work is picking back up so I will only be able to "smoke" on the weekends again..... :emoji_disappointed:

Very nice looking dish. I really like the mushrooms. I usually make mine with butter, Worcestershire and black pepper...but the honey bourbon sounds good.

Tri tip is $13/lb here. Wish I could get it cheaper, I’d add it to my grocery lost too.
honey bourbon is really sweet so the Worcestershire is a need. One could also just use bourbon and get that tangy bite. I'm a Worcestershire fan and have seasoned many steaks with it. Remember to under cook the shoorms and let them finish in the very low simmering sauce. This keeps them from getting spongy.

Looks delicious! Love your build too.
Thanks, I actually have a hard time believing it is finally finished. I still need to paint the big wheels though, so its still a work in progress.

Last edited:
That is a mighty fine looking plate!!! Great job and a big LIKE.
Congrats on the carousel ride.

That's a good looking meal. I've never even thought about putting the chimney over the side burner on my grill. Your post may have just made my next smoke a whole lot better and saved me some cleaning.

Great job

That is a mighty fine looking plate!!! Great job and a big LIKE.
Congrats on the carousel ride.

Thanks, the carousel ride is a nice reward (especially being a repeat rider), as the only thing better than a nice meal is to share it with others!

That's a good looking meal. I've never even thought about putting the chimney over the side burner on my grill. Your post may have just made my next smoke a whole lot better and saved me some cleaning.

Great job

Glad I could share a tip! Hope the side burner works for you, it makes quick work for me.

markh024 thanks for the like!

Fine looking plate of vittles you've got going on. TT is very hard to come by around here, and if you can find it it's very pricey.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks gmc2003, TT is supposed to be a "cheap" man’s fillet, but not sure that applies any more..... I like it cause it’s quick compared to prime rib but it’s very tasty when done right.

Thanks dcecil....its about a 45min one way drive to closest nice sit down restaurant for us, so we have to create our "own" experience at home!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky