Tri tip ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Tom Knoll and myself met up yesterday to split up a case of tri tips.

I now have 8 beautiful tri tips that I am not sure what to do with.

I would appreciate some input as to what would be a good first recipe technique for this cut.

I am open to any ideas short of grinding it into hamburgers.

Thanks for your assistance.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Fueling Around
I like to keep it simple with tri-tip. Season with Montreal Steak or Santa Maria seasoning, smoke to 125F and then sear - keeping it medium rare if possible. But even if you go past a bit it's still stays juicy and flavorful:

Reactions: JC in GB
Either a Santa Maria or Oakridge BBQ Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub. Smoke or grill to 100F and then sear to 130F. I like them with some char so I sear a little longer. Very juicy and lots of flavor

As someone fairly new to Tri-tips, they're great dry rubbed and reverse seared or marinated and grilled hot and fast. I like mine to be at an IT between 135-140. They're very versatile, and one good thing about them is if the middle of the TT is too rare for people, the ends are more of a medium, so one TT roast can satisfy people of different tastes.

That's awesome that you guys split a case. A butcher ordered me a case and I bought about 6 of them and he turned the rest into pastrami when I asked what he did with the rest of the case. I wish I had someone close by to split them 2 or 3 ways.

From my noob perspective on TT, here's the ones I did.
Tri-Tips

I like some chimichurri sauce on mine too, here's one I did that I never posted.
Tritip.jpeg

Tri tip is the pork butt of beef, but with a greater IT range.
115-135F. Steaklike.
140-165F. Roastlike.
190-195F. Brisket flat-like and juicy.

Of the four figures worth of TT I've grilled and smoked I never tried any other IT except the 115-135F. Then a friend said he takes his to 165F. I expected shoe leather but it was tender and juicy, tasting like roast beef. Then I read here at SMF about a guy taking it to 190F. I had to try both temps and was blown away with the results.

Get a tri tip near heat, and it turns into a beef chameleon.

Tom Knoll and myself met up yesterday to split up a case of tri tips.
I am open to any ideas short of grinding it into hamburgers.
According to my buddy that owns local meat market, they make excellent burger, (Just Cidding) JC.
I haven't had tri-tip in over 20 years since leaving the wet coast for Minnesota bland.
I remember it best braised and grilled on a Kamado

I like to cook them more to the brisket side of things. 2.5 to 3 hours at 225. I have found they do maintain moisture quite well. When ran at the 145-150 range where I know a lot of people like them they are incredibly soft. Almost too soft and kinda chewy atleast for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I love my prime steak grilled cuts at med-rare to rare, but the connective tissue in tri-tip is a little much for me.

Best I have ever had quacked, smelled, and swam like a brisket. I am going to experiment with a few of mine on some 3+ hour smokes and see what happens. If you decide to, please let us know!

depending on what you are smokin these on, this i how i do them;
  • Rub with a salt based beef rub. A fav of ours is a espresso beef rub. but your fave would be jsut fine too.
  • smoke at 180 to 115-120. it wont take long. that s why the lower smoke temp. (it you run it at 225 it will only be smokin about an hour before its to sear time.
  • then I crank the genesis to 450-500 and sear fast and hot.
  • rest and devour!
I like the middle to be almost rare / slightly medium rare. I hawk the temps to ensure not overshooting.

Send pics! Love TT!!!!

I'm throwing one on the Weber tonight.
I over-thawed it in the microwave, ...
Ugh
I never thaw meat in the microwave that is destined for the grill or smoker.
I rarely thaw anything in the microwave, as it disrupts the texture worse than than the freezing process.

Sorry for the sidetrack JC, but important as you have a lot of meat to store being your social season is done for the year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky