tri-tip hybrid cook?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Has anyone done any smoked/sous vide tri-tips? I have not made one in years but my local butcher is stocking them and pushing them. Last one I made was tough and not great. Wouldn't mind trying it again but if I did I think a 2-3 hour cooler temp smoke then sous vide for 12-24 hours might be a good experiment. Thoughts?

I have smoked a TT to about 110 deg, vac pack and freeze. When I want it, I SV until about 125 and do a reverse sear. The worst thing you can do with a TT is over cook it. Needs to be on the rare side and sliced correctly.

Yep all the time.

The last one I did was cold smoked then I Sous vide cooked it as a Mississippi roast for 4 hours at 130°. Then seared it off.
DCD7E471-C191-4593-BF7F-AB3478E49328.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
The only tough tri tip I’ve had is when a friend cooked it past well done in the oven….but not long enough to bring it to brisket style. Even when it wasn’t carved right it was only a little chewy!!

My go-to is Sous Vide to 130, let it cool off a bit then sear over coals. I don't like too much smoke on tri-tip.

Reactions: JLeonard
As stated slicing against the grain and keeping it med rare or rare is key.
A butcher at Safeway asked me one time how I cooked them as his was always tough!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky