Tri-Tip help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I smoke mine as low a temp as I can 175 on the pellet, for 1.5 hrs, then reverse sear on screaming hot grill to desired temp.

On the other side of that, I've cooked them like you would a brisket with excellent results. Rare with a sear or well like brisket work equally well with tri-tip.

Tri tip is the pork butt of beef: impossible to screw up. I've grilled, smoked, pan fried/oven roasted more than a thousand TTs the last 40+ years. I've eaten them at ITs of 120°F. 150°F, and 190°F. They all were juicy, delicious, and different. Tastes like steak (120°F), roast beef at 150°F, and brisket flat at 190°F

Dry brine for 4-24 hours in the fridge. I use Mont. Steak Seasoning, but any salt/pepper rub works, even just salt and pepper.

Smoke at any temp you want to 115-125°F internal temp (med-rare), then reverse sear on a grill, under the broiler, or in a screaming hot pan with some bacon fat or shortening. Rest covered for 30 minutes. Slice across the grains. Take a pic with your phone before it's cooked so you can remember the grains.

I cook mine on a charcoal grill indirect or on my pellet grill to an IT of 100. Then I reverse sear to 121. I like mine rare but medium rare is acceptable. Works every time. A high quality thermometer like a Thermapen is essential. Like noboundaries noboundaries says, it’s hard to screw up.

But the biggest thing is to learn how to slice it. NEVER cut it end-to-end as the grain is tricky. Find a video tutorial and cut across the grain. I see this big mistake made all the time.

I'm a sear first sort of guy. Here's a write-up on my first attempt at TT.

Chris

The most important thing with TT is to cut it across the grain. The grain runs in different directions, so you have to pay attention to that when slicing. We like ours rare to med rare. So we like them around 130 IT for a finish temp. I have smoked, reverse seared, and just grilled over a wood fire several TT’s. We like the wood fire flavor the best (ie. Santa Maria grill). But as the others have said, smoke & reverse sear seems to be very popular!
Al

As mentioned above tri-tip grain changes directions. It happens about the middle of the piece of meat. I make a light cut across the grain at each end and then one in the middle where the grain changes, before seasoning. That makes it easier to cut across the grain once cooked.

So, with all this talk about slicing correctly. Surely it has no effect on the flavor. Is it just presentation or making it easy to eat? Thanks to all who replied. If smoked at 225, what is a good guess of how long it would take to get to medium rare temp? Is it ok to be away from the smoker a few hours and, not overcook it?

So, with all this talk about slicing correctly. Surely it has no effect on the flavor. Is it just presentation or making it easy to eat?
I've only done one . Smoked in an MES 30 then seared in a hot cast iron pan . You can see how the grain changes right in the middle .
20191215_175745.jpg
Being my first ever ( and only one ) I didn't know about the grain change .
Started out across ,
20191215_180802.jpg
Didn't know to make the turn .
20191216_175442.jpg
It was still tender because it was sliced thin for sliders .

The most important thing with TT is to cut it across the grain.
this is fact! Google how to cut a tri tip. there are many good pics that will get you on track. I do mine about 200 till 120-125 IT then sear.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky