An Elusive cut of meat has been spotted in Northern Vermont

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Thought by many locals to be from an extinct creature. The infamous Tri-Tip roast has been spotted in a remote urban grocer. The location of the sighting will remain under wraps in hopes to prevent mass histeria amoungst the regional carnivores.

WOW!!! I couldn't believe my eyes the other day while doing the daily shopping. There sitting inbetween the chuckies and NY strips was a row of the mystical Tri-Tip. In it's naked glory. No marinates, no pre-seasoning, NO-Nothings, just good old fashion meat. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Here's a shot of the TT in it's meat cage: 2.75 pounds @ 6.99/lb. Kind of a steep price, but for such an exotic cut. I had to pull the trigger.

DSC01321.JPG

Distance shot: GMC standing back from the creature not trying to scare it away, and just like the Big Foot expoditions the pictures are a little blurry.

DSC01323.JPG

Seasoning and trimmed shot: Kinda resembles the state of Vermont. Seasons were just kosher salt and black pepper.

DSC01324.JPG

...and onto the 26"er with the Slow-n-Sear. Next time I'll use the Vortex for a better sear.

DSC01326.JPG

The meat freely lifted off the grates. Now it's time for it's inidirect journey.

DSC01327.JPG

The sliced shot: To many PBRs are to blame for the blurry pictures and a bathroom trip for the slight over-cooking, but boy was it juicy and tasty.
Also the lighting in my kitchen doesn't do it justice.

DSC01330.JPG

All in all it was well worth the wait. The wife and I weren't dissapointed at all. In fact I got up(by her insistence) early the next day(being today) and bought two more TTs. They are currently being preserved vacuumed sealed in my freezer.

Thanks for looking

Chris

Lol, funny write up, and tasty looking TT! Not sure if they are extinct here in CT but at least highly endangered, as they have not been sighted for some time now.

Thought by many locals to be from an extinct creature. The infamous Tri-Tip roast has been spotted in a remote urban grocer. The location of the sighting will remain under wraps in hopes to prevent mass histeria amoungst the regional carnivores.

WOW!!! I couldn't believe my eyes the other day while doing the daily shopping. There sitting inbetween the chuckies and NY strips was a row of the mystical Tri-Tip. In it's naked glory. No marinates, no pre-seasoning, NO-Nothings, just good old fashion meat. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Here's a shot of the TT in it's meat cage: 2.75 pounds @ 6.99/lb. Kind of a steep price, but for such an exotic cut. I had to pull the trigger.

View attachment 464232

Distance shot: GMC standing back from the creature not trying to scare it away, and just like the Big Foot expoditions the pictures are a little blurry.

View attachment 464234

Seasoning and trimmed shot: Kinda resembles the state of Vermont. Seasons were just kosher salt and black pepper.

View attachment 464235

...and onto the 26"er with the Slow-n-Sear. Next time I'll use the Vortex for a better sear.

View attachment 464236

The meat freely lifted off the grates. Now it's time for it's inidirect journey.

View attachment 464237

The sliced shot: To many PBRs are to blame for the blurry pictures and a bathroom trip for the slight over-cooking, but boy was it juicy and tasty.
Also the lighting in my kitchen doesn't do it justice.

View attachment 464238

All in all it was well worth the wait. The wife and I weren't dissapointed at all. In fact I got up(by her insistence) early the next day(being today) and bought two more TTs. They are currently being preserved vacuumed sealed in my freezer.

Thanks for looking

Chris
Looks great! Been wanting to try a TT myself.

That looks to be a fine job on that tri Chris, Like! Nice to see they found their way out to your part of the country, it truly is a great cut of beef. RAY

Nice write up Chris, looks like it's done to perfection! Sorry I missed the invite! :emoji_laughing:

Chris that looks excellent! I'm still on the search for tri tip. Suposidly our sams is going to have them in stock soon but I'm pretty they are all stocked in Bigfoot freezer. I'm going to keep looking though!

Looks great Chris . They are good , just don't see them enough . Nice post .

Looks like a great cut of hard to find Beef. Tri-Tips must have gone Extinct in my slice of PA. Checked the area Groceries and Butcher Shops and no one has them. Some guys knew what they were but don't order what won't sell...JJ

looks great, got to say i'v been a meat cutter for 35 years i only worked for 3 different companies and never seen a tri tip in any of our stores. i was starting to think the tt was like bigfoot.

Nice score!

Hannafords is the only grocery store in the northeast I've ever seen carry tri-tip.

Looks Great, Chris!!
You did a Great Job!
Like.
Those things worked their way from West to East, but somehow must have done an End Run around PA in order to get to Vermont!!!

Bear

Lol, funny write up, and tasty looking TT! Not sure if they are extinct here in CT but at least highly endangered, as they have not been sighted for some time now.

Thanks for the kind words WaterRat. The TTs were very good and sometime I have to add a little humor to hide my cooking deficiencies.

Looks great! Been wanting to try a TT myself.

Thank you RYT0ast, I've never had them before either. I was so happy/shocked to see them sitting there.

Chris

That looks to be a fine job on that tri Chris, Like! Nice to see they found their way out to your part of the country, it truly is a great cut of beef. RAY

Appreciate the like and compliment Ray. Now that they've made an appearance I hope they decide to settle here.

Nice write up Chris, looks like it's done to perfection! Sorry I missed the invite! :emoji_laughing:

Thanks Denny and for the like. I've always been kind of a funny eater. If possible I only put one item of food on my plate at a time. First the meat, then the veggies then what's every left. So to make up for a boring plate shot. I have to try to make it interesting in other ways.

Chris

Chris that looks excellent! I'm still on the search for tri tip. Suposidly our sams is going to have them in stock soon but I'm pretty they are all stocked in Bigfoot freezer. I'm going to keep looking though!

Thanks Travis, Ohio is before VT on the TT availability map. I'm surprised they didn't make a stop over your way. Mercy for the like also.

NICE! I love TT. one of my favs

Appreciate that Sandyut and the like. I have two more in the deep freeze so they'll be making a repeat performance. They are quickly rising up the charts here also.

Chris

Looks great Chris . They are good , just don't see them enough . Nice post .

Who'd a thunk that Chop. I figured in Missouri you guys would have been swimming in TT. This is a first for me. At least seeing one that hasn't been altered at the processing plant. Thanks for the like and kindly words also.

Looks like a great cut of hard to find Beef. Tri-Tips must have gone Extinct in my slice of PA. Checked the area Groceries and Butcher Shops and no one has them. Some guys knew what they were but don't order what won't sell...JJ

Pretty much the same here JJ. Most butchers around here are tone deaf to some of the cuts I see posted on SMF. It was good to see this family of TT making it's way out of extinction. Maybe the family will branch out into PA. Give it some time. Thanks for the like also.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky