Tri Tip - Cooking Over Open Fire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Tri Tip cooked over open fire of red oak at about 275-300 F, then reverse seared.
Pinto beans with New Mexican green chiles cooked in camp Dutch oven over hot coals. Beans cook longer so were started while fire burning down.
French bread with garlic butter wrapped in foil and toasted in coals.

I enjoy cooking on open fire. It's fun to hang around the campfire and satisfy some of those old primitive urges. The open fire provides heat, smoke, and a touch of flame to make a nice combination of grilling, roasting, and smoking.

First I like to make a good bed of hot coals by burning down a pile of wood for 1.5-2 hours, then add 1 or 2 pieces to keep the fire going at a low to moderate level.
I raise and lower the grill to help regulate cooking temperature, and spinning the grate facilitates even cooking over a live fire.
Cooking temperature is measured by holding my hand over the fire and counting one-mississippi, etc. for 7-8 seconds to give about 275-300 F.
When IT approaches final temperature, the food is removed and a couple of small splits added to fire bed. After the wood had caught, the grill is lowered over the fire so that the flame barely kisses the meat for a nice sear.

Cool video! That tri tip looks fabulous! Can't wait for a bit nicer weather...we love cooking on the fire as well!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky