Traveling with turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bronsonelliott

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 9, 2014
McKinney, TX
We live in Texas and will be traveling to Oklahoma. Just over 2 hour trip. We are responsible for bringing the turkey this year (turkey breasts actually). Here's how I was planning on handling it. Please let me know if I'm thinking about this the right way or anyone has other/better suggestions who have done something like this before.

• Day before we travel, I plan to fully cook 2 bone-in turkey breasts
  • Once they are done, I will let rest and then fully slice both breasts and put in a container (probably foil pan) and place in the fridge.
  • The day we travel, I will pack the foil pans in a cooler packed with ice to ensure everything stays cold.
  • Once we arrive at our destination and close to when we want to eat, I'll put a little broth and butter in the pan and place in a 350 degree oven and allow it to warm for serving.
Does that sound right? Am I missing something or not thinking about something? Does anyone have other suggestions? I know the best option is to eat it fresh off the smoker but that just won't be possible this year unfortunately so trying for the next best thing.

Reactions: JLeonard
Others may have a different way of handling this.. I think your plan is good and should work just fine.

The only thing I will interject is concerning the reheating temperature.

If you have had good luck reheating things at higher temperatures then we don't wanna fix what's not broken however, I have found in my own cooking that reheating at 275°F (135°C) seems to dry out the meat a lot less than higher temperatures.

Just takes a little longer to reheat.

The broth and butter will help tremendously and I have no doubt that your smoked turkey breast will be miles better than anything cooked in the oven regardless of the reheat temperature.

Others may have a different way of handling this.. I think your plan is good and should work just fine.

If you have had good luck reheating things at higher temperatures then we don't wanna fix what's not broken however, I have found in my own cooking that reheating at 275°F (135°C) seems to dry out the meat a lot less than higher temperatures.

The broth and butter will help tremendously and I have no doubt that your smoked turkey breast will be miles better than anything cooked in the oven regardless of the reheat temperature.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff. I just threw out 350 degrees as kind of the "default" temp but it definitely makes sense that lower would be better. I'll definitely note that in my reheating instructions. I plan on writing them on the foil pan in case someone else in the house wants to handle the reheating aspect. :-)

Reactions: JLeonard
From your title I thought that may have been a nickname for your wife. :emoji_laughing: Just kidding.

Sounds like you have a solid plan, and I agree with Jeff and reheating at a lower temp

Chris

I will be transporting a smoked turkey too. I was thinking I could just pull it like pork shoulder and put it into gallon bags or sealed containers? I could reheat in a roaster oven with some broth? I guess the presentation could be lacking but my sister is also smoking a bird in the oven and she can serve the fancy one.

I'm more concerned with a delicious smoke flavor and keeping it from drying out. Thoughts or suggestions?

I have reservations about slicing that early verses slicing right before reheating. However, I've never done a side-by-side comparison.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky