trailer size smoker survey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ribwizzard

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Orlando and Tampa Florida
Well, the weather here is starting to cool off a Lil bit and I'm getting the urge to do some building. Last year I messed around with the patio size smoker, but I'm thinking of doing some small trailer size smokers this year.

Question is, what size smoker would fit most peoples needs. Me myself...I think 250 gallon is just about perfect ...but this may be larger than the average Joe would want.     but a 120 might be a tad small for someone willing to hand over the cash for one.  I'm thinking about maybe even renting them instead of selling them ,..maybe.  Mostly , I just like to build.  So, ....what size?

I figure if it is big enough to go on a trailer, 250 is a good size. I have done 125 lb hogs all the way down to spatchcock yard birds and sausage. One door works fine and the firebox won't eat the college fund in wood.

Brad

RW, afternoon......  I kind of like those short-fat upright propane tank builds....  what are they 30 X 48 or something like that...  made into a RF....  Doors on each side... 2 or three racks...   Lots of meat in a small footprint...   

Dave

I just wish you were closer. I have the 250 gal tank and almost all the metal. Just don't have the metal working skills!

Mike

Got thinking about this some more last night,  ...Im thinking a nice tight tow able package that would still be easy to put in place near a back porch or something......something for the NFL fan who wants to do a pig for a a Superbowl party or something like that.

I'm visioning a 120 gallon on a very compact trailer with a swing hitch.......that should give a 23" x 46" cooking surface with room for 2nd rack, done right with a warmer box should be able to handle a nice little crowd....pleanty big for a small pig , dont you think?

Looking forward to seeing your craftsmanship and design...

What about cutting a 250 or even 500 in half to make 2 trailer smokers out of 1 tank. Then you would have a squared off end for the warmer box as well. Possibly enough clearance for 3 shelves for cooking.....

I am building a 250 but it would be more practical for me to have a smoker the size of a 36 inch lang..... I will only use the 250 for events, gatherings, etc.... I will get a 36 inch lang later on to complete my smoker collection.

What about cutting a 250 or even 500 in half to make 2 trailer smokers out of 1 tank. Then you would have a squared off end for the warmer box as well. Possibly enough clearance for 3 shelves for cooking.....
Dunno....I need to go to the scrap yard and eyeball the tanks on that one.....not sure if half a tank would work. I need to take a look at the 30 X 48 Dave mention.

And while I was writing this response, my gas guy showed up and told me where there is a graveyard of the old tanks about an hour from here. !!!

More i think about it....I'm thinking twin pig roasters made out of 120's. would make a fun build.  I have not done a whole hog personally nor been involved helping cooking one in many, many years.  So , a hog cooker would be something new for me, and something new to look forward to doing once its built.  I'll have to read up on cooking techniques

Afternoon Ribwizzard,  I like the idea of renting. There are several builders here in Texas that does that. Maybe build both a large and a smaller version. I think people who are having a large get together would probably want the larger and someone who was just cooking for a few or just wanting to check it out and get started may want to go with a smaller unit. If anyone around there doesn't rent smokers sounds like you may have found a new business. I will check around and see what they are renting for around Texas. It is starting to cool down here to. We have two tanks on the ground the will become smokers.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

Im really thinking about the smaller pig cookers, something perfect for tailgaters, nascar races, etc., even church fuctions, company party's ,   clean , compact, units, ..not catering  or competition rigs.....I'll have to draw something up.

Here are some rental rates and info.

Description and Features:   Main cooking chamber is 1/4" thick wall pipe 24" in diameter and 60" long. Main chamber has four angle-framed sliding pull-out food trays and a 2" grease drain with ball valve.  A full-size heat deflector/baffle minimizes hot spots in the main chamber.  Also, Gator Pit’s locking and adjustable ”Tuning Plates” for more even temperature cooking across entire food chamber.   Main doors are equipped  with 3" dial stainless steel easy-read temperature gauge.  Side-access door provides access to the main chamber charcoal grate to allow you to easily add charcoal during long cooks. All doors have 1" flanges on all four sides for a tight seal and stainless steel cool-touch handles.

¼” x 24" x 24” firebox has a heavy-duty angle-framed removable wood grating and adjustable air-intake vents.

Trailer frame is 4' x 6', with steel fenders, 15" white wheels and trailer-rated tires.  Includes a 2" Bulldog coupler, complete light kit and 4-prong wiring harness, safety chains and matching spare tire. All doors lock for safety and security.  Passenger side and front storage area can be used to hold wood, chairs, ice chests, etc.   Side rails to bungee or strap too.  This mobile Gator Pit can be towed by most full size cars, trucks, and SUV's. 

Daily Rental: $175.00
Pick up by 4PM and return next day by 4PM

Weekend rental: $375.00 
Pick up on Friday before 4PM and return Monday before 4PM.

7-Day Rental: $625.00

Valid State Driver’s license and proof of insurance are required.

Rental can not be taken out of the surrounding counties or out of state.

$50.00 non-refundable fee is required to reserve unit.  This will be credited toward the total when picked up.  A $75.00 cleaning fee will be charged if the unit is not returned in the same clean condition as received.  All customers are required to sign a Rental Agreement. 

I had this saved over in my favorites, another friend of mine was looking into doing the same thing.

Gary

More i think about it....I'm thinking twin pig roasters made out of 120's. would make a fun build.  I have not done a whole hog personally nor been involved helping cooking one in many, many years.  So , a hog cooker would be something new for me, and something new to look forward to doing once its built.  I'll have to read up on cooking techniques
We stopped doing whole pigs years ago, just to much waist... Butts is about all we cook anymore.. If your going to cook a pig inside something, ya might wanna look into a chain drive rotisserie with proper gear reduction.. Better results imo..you only have to lift it 2 times that way, putting it in,taking it out...

We stopped doing whole pigs years ago, just to much waist
I can see that, but for show, it would be hard to beat them. With all the stuff on TV now and the popularity of BBQ pits sky rocketing,  I just fiqured there would probably be people that would like to see a pig at a party.

Gotcha- I see what your looking for now-

I would do a bath style with smoke- coals/wood/heat source, on bottom - then a full length  metal pan for liquid- then a rack for the pig belly down-then cover it up and let r cook...

A bath style is very forgiving, the steam helps cook the pig and also carries the smoke deeper into the meat.. the liquid can be just about anything,water, with juices and you can also add fruits to it... this pan is optional as it comes out so it doesn't have to be used if their not interested..

I see it this way, you are probably going to be renting to folks who havnt cooked a whole pig before,the easier "more forgiving" your set up is,the better  they are going to do...That may keep them coming back ...

Those prices seemed to high for me I think you are more in line maybe $75 or $100 for a whole weekend on a big smoker.

Gary

I see it this way, you are probably going to be renting to folks who havnt cooked a whole pig before,the easier "more forgiving" your set up is,the better they are going to do...That may keep them coming back ...
Well, first and formost, I just want to build something new......,something different ......thinking I will be able to rent it gives me the self justification I need to do that. More than likely , it will be loaned out more than rented, just like my other pits.

Keeps me out of trouble...if you know what I mean.

I Like that, never thought of renting out pits but have loaned out on occasion. Renting is not for me.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky