Trailer Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron petersen

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Watford City, ND
Not sure where to start on this RF Build. I am liking the smoking fun and looking to get into local competition cookouts.

Found a chunk of steel that is 1/2" plate steel in a U shape, 32" wide, approx 30" deep and 96" long. 2 pieces and a shorter 3' piece. All bent to a U shape. I am liking the idea of 1/2" plate but not liking the weight I will have to work on. No biggie, have forklift. My trailer is a 16' car hauler that has not seen the road for a few years. So why not convert it to a smoking trailer?

Open to suggestions on a RF smoker.

Can't wait to get it started and hope price is right for the steel.

Ron

That's the advantage of having a small fab shop I can use at work. I sold all my welding stuff to the company since I had no place to store equipment.

More I think about it, I want to be able to smoke anything. I want to smoke whole hog, butts, chicken, etc. 

Not sure what the cooking area size should be for a whole hog, any suggestions?

I might build a low temp smoker on the side for sausages and jerky.

Even if I don't get that steel, I will use plate steel and build a box type with doors opening side by side.

Ron

I was in metal shop in middle school ("junior high" then) in the 70s. We mainly worked with galvanized cold-rolled steel, sometimes copper pipe. We could cut, drill, fold, roll, solder and spot weld. I still have some of the pieces I made.

Later a friend's father had a manufacturing company that had similar equipment for making guards around belt drives. I never got to play with it but my friend made a few small portable grills.

Looking back now, though, that was probably galvanized which is bad for cooking because of the zinc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky