Traditional Slovak Cuisine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 17, 2009
Helena, MT
My in-laws have an exchange student that is Slovakian. For Thanksgiving I am wanting to do some traditional food for him with a twist. I am thinking about taking a traditional Slovak meal and smoke part or all of it. Is there anybody out there with any knowledge of Slovak cuisine? If so could you name your favorite and give some pointers?

icon_cool.gif

I just googled slovak menu and it had a bunch of things. Like lamb or a goose and then some sorts of sausage with some red cabbage. Heck give lamb a shot on the smoker it is easy and really good to. Now theres a couple of folks here like Solar yellow he has some a really good lamb sausage recipe that I made and it was so so really good to. Heck give him a PM I'm sure he will give it to you.

Not an expert here, but they borrow a lot of recipes from the surrounding countries, especially Hungarian.

I'm 100% polish, and I could tell you that Slovak food is almost identical to Polish.  Potatoes, wheat flour, cow and sheep cheese, cabbage, onions and garlic are the bases of the traditional food in Slovakia. You will often encounter beans, corn, lentils and other vegetables. Also a lot of fruit (apple, pear, peach, apricot, cherry, plum, grape, orange, kiwi, grapefruit, banana, etc.). Pork, beef, chicken and fish are the most popular meats. Less frequently one will be offered lamb, goose, duck, turkey or venison. Bread is very important in the nutrition. Most people in Slovakia eat it for the breakfast and also quite often with the dinner. The bread differs from region to region, town to town, baker to baker, just like elsewhere in Europe.

Reactions: coffee_junkie
I'm 100% polish, and I could tell you that Slovak food is almost identical to Polish.  Potatoes, wheat flour, cow and sheep cheese, cabbage, onions and garlic are the bases of the traditional food in Slovakia. You will often encounter beans, corn, lentils and other vegetables. Also a lot of fruit (apple, pear, peach, apricot, cherry, plum, grape, orange, kiwi, grapefruit, banana, etc.). Pork, beef, chicken and fish are the most popular meats. Less frequently one will be offered lamb, goose, duck, turkey or venison. Bread is very important in the nutrition. Most people in Slovakia eat it for the breakfast and also quite often with the dinner. The bread differs from region to region, town to town, baker to baker, just like elsewhere in Europe.
Could you give me some suggestions as to a good side dish to serve with T-day dinner?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky